Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #1 
Pataflafla

Cat Attacked Fish

My sister and I were doing our weekly water change on her sorority and all was going well. We put them all in cups and floated them since the water always comes out too warm from the faucet. Elm was in the big cup, which we don't have a lid for, which left her open to our mother's cat.

I got paranoid at not seeing my mom's cat and went to check on the fish tank because she's really crazy about try to get them, unlike our other two. I found her in the corner really reluctant to shoo. She had fished Elm out of the cup and was just about to try and eat her when I found this. Shooed her away and picked Elm up and put her in the tank (While holding her since she was unresponsive and covered in hair). After rinsing some of the hair off we placed her back into her large cup and let her recooperate a little bit before trying to get more hair off of her. We placed her cup partially under the filter output for running water to push the hair off. After wards we put a little bit of tetracycline in with her to prevent infection and kept her in the dark to calm down.

She seems to be doing fine now, but she is not being let out into the sorority yet. Tank temp is a stable 84*F and 95% of the water was just changed. Is there anything else we can do to help her recover? There aren't any puncture marks and only appears to be a small cut above her left gill, her fins seem to be ok as well. She's in the process of getting rid of her slime coat, which I am assuming is because of the stress, hair, and being out of water.

Needless to say, we are locking up our mother's cat for every water change from now on.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #2 
Greenfish

I have had my Betta jump out of the cup while doing a water change, she was covered in dust and dirt but made a full recovery. These fish are really amazing.
I hope that she makes a full recovery and it sounds like you have done the best thing for her. You could add some sort of coat heal or protection, not sure what you can get in America.
Greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

We didn't have any stress coat on hand, but we dosed her with tetracycline and clean water. She pulled through the night and is looking to be just fine. I'll be changing her water in just a little bit so I'll watch if she swims funny or anything. She's still breathing a little heavy, but I think she's just stressed still.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #4 
Creat

A little bit of aquarium salt works really well and should help ward off anything icky too
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Wow, Pataflafla, that's a bummer. :( Things have been really rough for you these past few weeks. I agree with everyone that AQ salt and clean water, along with the tetracycline you gave her, will help ward off infection. It's good she doesn't have any puncture wounds that you can see but keep an eye on her breathing and especially her gills and head for a few days to make sure she doesn't have any remaining dirt or hair stuck in her gills. I hope she makes a full recovery. Poor Elm.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #6 
Pataflafla

My sister added her to the sorority this afternoon and she's been doing well. Tokyo is very chill with her and minds her own business and Sycamore does a tiny amount of flaring and chasing before giving up and being buddies. There's been no nipping or serious chasing.

Elm doesn't appear to have any more hair and dirt on her and is acting healthy as usual. No heavy breathing and very little in terms of stress stripes (she's usually stripey but they were definitely more pronounced last night).

And guess what now! Hester's got parasites and is bloating quite severely since her back puts more pressure on her stomach. We've got her on 2 tsp/gal of epsom salt to help her pass the parasites before we start a treatment. Poor Sabino's gonna get her first medication tomorrow. She can't catch a break between being stressed about a new place and Hester being a jerk, now she has to deal with Jungle or General Cure.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #7 
bettafish15

84 is a bit high, shoot more for 78-82. :) Glad your fish is okay! Sucks about the other one getting sick though :/
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #8 
Pataflafla

We just keep the temperature up at treatment level all the time because there's always a rip or tear on one of them. They've been doing quite well with that temperature as well. I'll see if my sister is willing to lower it though.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:57 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Oh man, Pataflafla, YOU'RE the one who can't catch a break. It's just one thing after another with these fish, isn't it? But we loves 'em anyway, trouble though they can be. I'm sorry to hear about Hester. :/ But I AM glad to hear Elm is doing good after her near-death experience. I'm so glad the cat didn't eat her. O.O I would have cried for you if the cat had. I mean, I love cats but still, eating someone's fish would be so sad.

I'll say a fishy prayer for Hester and I hope the epsom salts does the trick.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:03 AM   #10 
Pataflafla

Hester's on 2 tsp/gal of epsom salt and general cure (As is Sabino since they're sharing the .5 gal long for now). Oh, and Pants has got some cloudy eye and fungus issue going on now too, so he's on tetracycline since he can't be on aq salt with his swim bladder disorder. Oak is still battling the fungus as well, but ti's getting better with maracyn.

So Hester, Pants, Sabino, and Oak are all on meds now. At least Frog is doing good for once. And Ratchet has put the tail biting on hold in favor of fighting the thermometer. I'd rather have him fighting inanimate objects than his tail.