Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #1 
Limeylemon

Emergency help needed!!!

My betta has lived in a 40 gallon tank with several other fish, mainly mollys and tetras for about 5 months, he has had 2 bouts of white spot, and has had his entire fin eaten off (by a fish who is now gone) but has always grown back strong.
My tank is healthy and no new fish have been added for 3 months
readings
PH 6.8
KH 100
GH 250
NO3 10
NO2 0
I found him floating on a plant, then floated to the top vertical, immedietly i have seperated him and this is what hes doing now...
He has a wierd kink in his body right between the bottom and back fin, and he keeps having little fits and twitching really bad with it!
Name:  IMG_0130.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  43.4 KB

PLEASE HELP ME AND MY FAVORITE LITTLE FELLA :(
If you have any ideas what might be wrong, and what i can do, please post.

Last edited by Limeylemon; 08-19-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Limeylemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #2 
BerkB33

Sounds like he's been banged around a bit. Bettas are a pretty solitary species. If he makes it....it may be best to find a home where he can live alone. Find a container and put some dechlorinated water in it just deep enough for the fish to reach the surface easily for air. Make sure the water is 78 to 82 degrees. I use Aquarium salt, others here say to use epsom salt...but mix some 1 teaspoon per gallon of water and put him in that water. Probably best to keep it semi dark and peaceful. If you have tannins available add to water also. Good Luck. Change his water everyday for 10 days as well.

Last edited by BerkB33; 08-19-2011 at 03:38 PM.
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

He is most likely stressed and that has caused a compromised immune response.....I would get him in a small QT container and start a treatment....

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let the tannin source steep to release tannins and salt to dissolve for 30min-1hr-Shake well before use and use this Tx water for 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days while in a small QT container-temp 76-77F.....

First acclimate him to the TX water by making 50% water change every hour for 2 hours and start the 100% in 24h

Nutrition-feed quality varied diet in small frequent meals...if you have access to mosquito larva-rinse and offer several for one of the meals daily....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #4 
Limeylemon

Ok i tried all i could, had him in salts, then realised he had a fungus growth so treated for that, but he died tonight. Bless him!
Limeylemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Limeylemon, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote