Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #1 
chix0r

Question Fin Treatment for New Betta

I just got my first betta yesterday from Petsmart. He was the prettiest one there, but his fins aren't in perfect shape. Here's a picture.

I was concerned about fin rot when I saw the edging on his fins, but it looks blue when he swims around. Could it just be part of his natural coloring?

Also, what can I do to help his fins heal? Should I put some aquarium salt in his tank, or change his water more frequently than usual? He currently only has one plant, and it doesn't seem to have anything on it that would be rough or snag his fins. He's swimming around even more this morning than yesterday and his fins don't look any worse than when I brought him home.
chix0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #2 
dragonflie

I'm not seeing any fin loss in the picture, only a darker coloring around the edges. Are you sure there's fin rot? Or maybe it's just not shown in the picture?

Almost everyone here seems to recommend AQ salt, but I am not a big fan of it except in certain circumstances (such as more natural treatments for ich), so I really cannot advise on that. Many times, very clean water is all you need to help, unless you have a bacterial infection going on; which in this case, I'm not sure you are experiencing. :)

Any way you could get another pic up of the parts of his fins that look bad to you?
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I cant tell if that's fin rot or his normal coloring. His fins don't look to raggidy.

AQ salt helps treat fin rot. 1 tsp per gallon I think it what is recommended along with daily water changes.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #4 
chix0r

I thought there might be something wrong with his dorsal fin. It looked ragged to me. I don't know anything about fish though, so if it looks normal to you guys, then I'm not worried about it. :)
Old 08-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #5 
dragonflie

He's holding it fairly close, so it's hard to tell. Without stressing him out too much because he's new, maybe you can let him see his reflection for just a minute so he flares up a little, and you can see his fin more clearly. :)
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #6 
youlovegnats

Looks normal to me as well. My Chocolate VT has black edging on his fins. :P
A lot of VT's have spiky-looking dorsal fins, so that's also normal. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #7 
NCPanthersgurl

Can you get him to flare? That'd give you/us a full view of all the fins and we could better say. Looks okay to me though.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #8 
chix0r

He doesn't seem to be much of a flare-er. Here's a couple of him looking right at a mirror:

Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #9 
NCPanthersgurl

He might be too young to flare; my Jazz wouldn't flare when I first got him, now it's easy as pie to get him to.

In the meantime I'm gonna say he looks okay to me :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #10 
earthworm88

What a handsome boy! The dark edging looks natural to me as it is symmetrical and uniform. However, I would keep an eye on the top edge of the dorsal fin close to the body. I am not sure if that's just a reflection from the photo or what but looks slightly suspicious?
Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote