Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #1 
Picklepaige

Is this velvet?

I think my betta fish has velvet, but I'm not sure, and I don't know what exactly to do.

He had several white spots around his head, and on his sides, he has this light covering of grey/gold. But, the thing is, he isn't acting any different. It's been like this for about a week now, and he's still eating fine, doesn't look sick other than the obvioius, and he hasn't been scratching himself on anything.

He's in a 5 gallon, heated/filtered tank. I bumped the temperature up to 82, and added a tablespoon of aquarium salt. I bought some Maracide, but I'm not sure if it's safe to give him if he doesn't actually have velvet.

Here are some pictures I just took. See how his head is white, and the gold dusting on his body and fins?

Picklepaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #2 
NCPanthersgurl

Shine a flashlight on him, do the gold parts shimmer? Like they're metallic?
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I can't tell much by the pic...too dark...but if he is other wise acting and eating fine without symptoms......not lethargic, not flashing, hiding, clamp fins...etc......a clear pic would really help.....

In the 5gal filtered tank...how much and how often are the water changes, live plants, additives used, how long have you had him, appetite-amount/type food......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote