Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #1 
Zenandra
Banned

Post Your Betta Rescue Stories Here!

Hey all! I am working on a Website and I want it to be all about helping out bettas. There are facts, myths, a blog, and such. I'm going to add a "What you can do to help" section, and a section updating people on my quest to get bettas the respect they deserve.

I want to have a section where I can post people real life betta rescues or stories of going after a store or what not and getting them to change the way they treat their bettas.

Please post your name (or I can use your username on here) the bettas name, the story and a picture of the betta or bettas if possible! Thank you very much!

You can view the site here http://www.bettahaven.webs.com I look forward to hearing your stories and your opinion of the site so far! Thank you!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #2 
SummerOj

My name - Natalie
Betta's name - Joshy Wolfgang and Kyle

Picture of Joshy before in his little cup:
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC00082.jpg
And after in his new 3 gallon home!:
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC00121.jpg

I got Joshy and Kyle one day while I was looking for fish food for my goldfish. I always get sad when looking at the fish in Wal Mart, but I couldn't help but look at the bettas. There were probably 10 cups with dead bettas in them, floating in nasty water. It smelled so horrible >.< And I saw not even one employee around in the pets section the whole time I was there.
Anways, I saw a little bit of movement in one of the cups. I picked it up gently and saw a little guy swimming around. I put him down to go ask my mom if I could get him when I saw a fish moving in the cup next to his. Two out of 10+ bettas were alive. Who knows how long they've been there. I gave one to my cousin and kept the sickest looking one to look after in a heated 3 gallon home, where he is happily swimming free!
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #3 
JamieTron

I'm JamieTron
Bettas: Ichigo marble and JD yellow crowntail

In 2008 I saved two bettas from a petstore chain. They were held in tiny dirty cups that smelt like ammonia. I noticed they were small, not moving but still alive. I was not going to buy one but I saw one that looked so bad, but he was so beautiful, and then my eye caught another one even worst for the wear. I could not let myself walk out without saving them, and the friend who was with me saved three. I got home put them in small hospital tanks, both laid on the bottom of each tank, hardly moving. I lowered their water because I knew they could not get air. The marbled betta (Ichigo) took a few days to recover, I was so happy! but my yellow crowntail (JD) he was really bad...it took almost two weeks for him to swim and eat. I did not think he would make it...but I kept trying...and well they are both full grown and healthy now. Ichigo has a 2 gallon tank and JD has a 5 gallon tank.

BEFORE:
Name:  ichigoill.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  55.0 KB
Ichigo the day I got him

Name:  JDill.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  71.9 KB
JD the day I got him

AFTER:
Name:  ceilidh 172.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  102.3 KB
Ichigo now

Name:  jdnow.jpg
Views: 2324
Size:  90.8 KB
JD now
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #4 
DefyingGravity

I don't have any stories as such. My brother found all of my boys, and while one of them was worse for wear, they weren't overly bad... but I just wanted to say:

JamieTron, the difference in your fish is amazing. They are both BEAUTIFUL!!!
DefyingGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #5 
veganchick

"Rescuing" a fish from a store is just like buying dogs from puppy mills. You think you are helping the fish, but really you are just making the store continue to breed the fish and keep them in these horrid conditions. Go to craigslist or petfinder or a shelter (yes, they have them for fish) if you want to ACTUALLY rescue a betta
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #6 
SummerOj

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
"Rescuing" a fish from a store is just like buying dogs from puppy mills. You think you are helping the fish, but really you are just making the store continue to breed the fish and keep them in these horrid conditions. Go to craigslist or petfinder or a shelter (yes, they have them for fish) if you want to ACTUALLY rescue a betta
Yeah, from now on I'm just buying fish from a place that takes care of their bettas.
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #7 
JamieTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
Yea, that's true, but it's still nice to grab a few up that look like are suffering. Petstore chains will never stop doing this to their animals unless people stop giving them service all together. I think there should be more enforcement of how petstore animals are treated and where they come from. I think they should also have to legally tell a customer exactly where the animals they sell comes from, because they often will say generally "a breeder"...well what breeder "uh a breeder from another province" like okay...

My local petstore (it's not a chain store) breeds their own rodents and don't carry cats or dogs or birds. They just carry fish and hamsters, chinchillas, rabbits and gerbils mostly. Sometimes the odd lizard, but not often. Their bettas are really well cared for and they keep them in tanks with other fish or themselves and the rest are in very large jars (better then cups). Their fish are NEVER dirty...I was really impressed, lol I pretty much used to live there. They were happy when my boyfriend bought me a betta from there and I told them that I own a bunch already and I wasn't going to put them in a small betta tank. The only thing I don't like is that they carry the small betta tanks and vases even though they say you should not use them.

The two I bought above are from a different petstore where I go to university

Last edited by JamieTron; 01-03-2010 at 04:29 PM.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

That's great! =] My sister got ahold of the pet managment and yelled at the walmart people when she got her betta and they actually cleaned up their act for a few months. then I think they started slacking again. >=/

But she did make the difference in the lives of the entire aquatic section in that Wallmart for a few months! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #9 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
That's great! =] My sister got ahold of the pet managment and yelled at the walmart people when she got her betta and they actually cleaned up their act for a few months. then I think they started slacking again. >=/

But she did make the difference in the lives of the entire aquatic section in that Wallmart for a few months! =]
well good for her :). Stupid Walmart people
Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #10 
veganchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerOj View Post
Yeah, from now on I'm just buying fish from a place that takes care of their bettas.
Yay! Time to get some happy bettas!