Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #1 
Pucky21811

My fish just swallowed a piece of paper! Is he going to be okay??!?!

Okay, sorry you guys I didn't think I was going to have to bother you again so soon, but I'm worried.

Tonight, after I did the 100% water change, I put Puck back in his bowl once it was of equal temperature. Then I put in his floating Betta log toy. I had rinsed it off with hot water in the sink and put it in my measuring cup I use for the water replacement. Usually I give the log a once-over before putting it in, if there is every anything on it. Of course tonight was the night I didn't look and there must have been a piece of paper or sticker stuck to it, because once I put it back into the water the piece of paper started to sink to the bottom. I didn't even have time to grab my net and try to fish it out before I watched in horror as Puck darted up to it and inhaled it, mistaking it for a flake. He spat it out, but then swallowed it once again. This was about five minutes ago. His behavior hasn't changed any, but should I be really worried? The piece he swallowed was about the size of one of his Pectoral fins.

:(
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #2 
jman828

He should be OK, if all goes well he should just poop it out as paper is easily disolved in digestion.....just look for any signs of problems near his belly and look for changed behavior and lethargy. If you see anything let us know and we will suggest something. Just keep an eye out but he should be fine. :)
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #3 
Neil D

jman is correct. There should be no issues if the piece of paper was small. Keep an eye out for any bloating right near the pectoral fins, and behind the gills. Let us know if anything seems amiss.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #4 
Pucky21811

Good morning everyone! Puck has made it through the night and is looking just fine. However, he is very bloated. On one hand, I am treating him for fin rot and just fed him his now twice-weekly dose of freeze dried blood worms last night. Could that be more of a reason for him to bloat than the paper?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #5 
dragonflie

In a situation like this I would fast him for a couple days, but that's just me. I wouldn't be putting anything else in his system right now; and give the paper a chance to "come through." Sorry for the visual.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #6 
Neil D

Its likely. Don't feed him for the next 2 days. Freeze-dried bloodworms should be fed once a week. If possible, try to get frozen bloodworms instead.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #7 
Myates

Puck.. reminds me of the MTV Puck, which would eat paper o.O
hehe sorry, just had to giggle. Hope he gets better soon :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #8 
jman828

It's quite possible, freeze dried foods are very easy to bloat with! Try giving less or stopping for about 3 or 4 days. Like others have said fasting for 1-2 will also help :). Just watch out for signs of sickness but I think he'll be just fine :)
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #9 
Kytkattin

Other foods, such as frozen daphnia or brine shrimp can act as a laxative. :)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #10 
Pucky21811

He seems just fine; I will fast him for a day or two now. Thank you so much everyone!

His name is Puck as in his full name, "Hockey Puck," since my boyfriend and I are both die-hard ice hockey fans <3