Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #1 
Timily1201

Unhappy Sick Betta

I have a Betta I keep on my desk at work. I went on vacation and left a co-worker in charge of his care. Unfortunately, when I came back today he was not doing very well. From what I understand when I was gone she overfed him and the water got really nasty. She and one of the supervisors changed the water in his tank without adding a water conditioner and just threw him in the new water without allowing him to get acclimated to the temperature.

Today when I picked him up from her desk his color was dull and he is just staying at the surface breathing constantly. Before I changed the water and added a conditioner he was jumping out of the water.

I have had this fish for almost 2 years and I really care for him. I am scared to death he is going to die. Does anyone know what is wrong with him and if there is anything I can do to help him?
Timily1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #2 
LaLaLeyla

How is he doing now?
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #3 
Timily1201

I'm home now. I almost brought him home with me but I was worried moving him would just cause more stress and make him worse. When I left he was still just hanging vertically in the tank with his mouth at the surface gulping air.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #4 
Micho

Try filling this out so we can assist you better.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Is your tank heated? [
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #5 
Timily1201

I keep him in a 1 gallon betta tank, no filter, airstone, or heater. He lives with an african dwarft frog.

He is fed betta pellets and I also put in blood worms for the frog which he eats as well. They are fed once a day.

I clean his tank every week, I dump the water and do about a 90% change. I condition the water before I add them back to the tank.

I have not tested the water.

He is a lot duller in color than he was a week ago when I left for vacation and he is just hanging vertically at the surface of the water. He is not swimming around or active the way he was when I left. He was not at all interested in eating today. I haven't treated him with anything. I have had this fish for just about 2 years and I don't know how old he was when I got him. He has never had any health issues and was perfectly fine when I left on vacation a week and a half ago. I have no clue what this girl did to my fish.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #6 
Micho

Now 1 gallon makes a good QT tank (quarantine tank) but Bettas are happier when they have more space to swim around just like any other living creature. More space = more happiness. I would suggest you get a bigger tank, 2 gallons ~ 5 gallons. Doesn't really matter. If you choose to stick to the 1 gallon tank it is preferred that you do a 100% change everyday or at least every other day. Ammonia builds up quick and can be deadly for any fish.

Also Bettas are tropical fishes so you will need a heater! They prefer temperatures that range around 76 Fahrenheit ~ 82 Fahrenheit. So get him a heater, a small one around 7w ~ 10w, adjustable if you can. Also a thermometer so you can see the temperature of the water.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #7 
Silverfang

Sorry if it's not really helpful, but in anything under 5 gallons a betta should not have company. The only thing that can get away with them in that size is a snail (which are supposed poop machines) or shrimp (which are a tempting snack)

Oh, some helpful advice too (sorry, don't mean to be all negative! just trying to help).
Keep him in clean water, daily water changes for a week wouldn't hurt, and since he was over feed, it won't hurt to fast him for a few days to see if that helps. Sadly it might be age catching up with him, as a pet bettas usually don't last more than 2-3 years, with some exceptions making it 5 or more years.

The chlorine may have shocked him while you were away, which could be why he is reacting so badly. Also as Micho said, a heater is a great investment, my boy lives in a 2.5 gal tank with a 10W heater. It only keeps it to about 75-76, but even that will make alot of difference.

Last edited by Silverfang; 08-24-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: helpful advice?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:34 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Hi timily and welcome to the forum. It sounds like a case of poor water quality and no conditioner getting to the little guy. I assume you did a water change when you got him back from your coworker. I realize you'll be busy at work but if you can, it would be best to do a full or close to full (90% is okay) water change every day for a week to help him recover. Since he's weak right now, his immune system is very compromised and clean water will really help to prevent him from getting something much harder to treat, like a bacterial infection. And his age, 2 yrs, could also affect his ability to fight off infection so all the more reason to keep his water clean. He's done well so far, I hope he can continue on to live another year.

The other posters are right. If you can, upgrade to at least a 2 gallon tank. One tank that would look good on your desk is the Fluval Spec, it's very compact. You can fit a heater in it so he stays warm; cold water will, again, compromise his immune system. If you want to stay with the 1g, then it would be best to do several water changes a week. Every other day is ideal but I understand that is a bit of work while you're at work. If you can, try and do 1 50% and 1 100% a week. I think you'll see a big change in his behavior when his water is changed that often.

I really hope the little fellow pulls through and gets better. Please keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #9 
Timily1201

Sadly, when I got to work this morning my little buddy had passed away. I felt awfully silly crying over a fish, but he was my companion at work for a very long time.

I appreciate everyones help.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #10 
Micho

I'm sorry about your loss. >: Fish are just like any other pet, no need to feel silly for crying.