Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #1 
RoderickUsher

Unhappy Bladder issues? Fish is lying on side!!

Hi All,

Fin, our Betta, has taken to lying on his side on the bottom of his bowl the last day or two. When I approach the bowl he will dart up to the surface, but then sinks back down. Today he spit out food when offered. I'm guessing its constipation and a bloated bladder, which I read will clear itself out given a few days. I'm worried that he isn't getting enough air though...anything I can do to help him out?

Thanks SO MUCH in advance for your help!

Housing
What size is your tank? About 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Unregulated (in a very warm room of the apartment)

Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet twice a day, one day off a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly changes
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Has not
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hangs on on the bottom, mostly on his side, spit out food today.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's been lethargic for a few days, not to this extent.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Lowered the water level to make the surface closer. We'll stop feeding him for a few days.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not since we got him.

How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown.
Attached Images

RoderickUsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Sorry to hear that your betta Fin isn't doing well.
Generally, for a one gallon, the water should be changed daily or at least every other day at the minimum if they get stressed easily. It's always good to have a small test kits to get the parameters of the water. My gut instinct is that this is something that didn't happen for the past few days. Whatever it is, it has been taking a toll on him for sometime now.
How long have you had Fin?
Is he a tail biter? Looks like the caudal fin is all chewed up.
Can you try to take a close up picture of him to see the stomach and fins etc?
Has he been pooping regularly? It's never a good sign when they are not interested in food anymore.

If he has trouble breathing as he is staying on the bottom, it was a good decision to lower the water level for him to get up easier.

When was the water last changed? I would suggest a water change with the conditioner. It's important to keep the temperature somewhat regulated as constant fluctuating temp isn't that great for them in the long run.

Hope he is feeling better.
Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:25 AM   #3 
Sakura8

If he is not bloated, then he is probably not constipated. Earthworm is right, in a 1 gallon, you'll need to do more water changes, at least every other day. I have a feeling Fin has some ammonia and nitrite/nitrate issues going on here. The best thing you can do for him is to lower the water level down to about 2-3" so he can reach the surface easier and to make sure the water is as clean as possible. For the next week, do daily water changes with a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime. Once he's perked up and started eating, you can go to every other day.

It's fine to keep them in 1 gallon spacewise but there are two big problems with tanks that small. One is you do have to do very frequent water changes to keep the ammonia down. The other is it is hard to find a good heater for a tank that small. If you can, you may want to consider upgrading to at least a 2 gallon. Then you can get a good heater and change the water only twice a week. It makes it easier for you.

I really hope Fin feels better quickly. Please keep us posted and good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #4 
RoderickUsher

Hi Earthworm and Sakura,

Thanks for your concern and suggestions. I agree on the tank size -- Finn was my first Betta purchase and upon reading Petco's thing saying they could live in 1 litre I figured that 1 gallon was plenty -- I'm now of the opinion that 2 gallons at a minimum is ideal.

Tail biting: I havent seen him ever bite, and I stare at him a fair amount.

Water -- two questions:
1) I live in DC. DC has AWFUL tap water, not considered by most people to be safe for longterm unfiltered human consumption. With that in mind I've been buying bottled water and using conditioner. Even with all the crud in DC water amd I still better off using tap water, or is bottled ok?

2) Change rate vs temperature fluctuation. I'm more than happy to change the water often, but people keep stressing the importance of maintaining temperature, and I worry that too much water cycling will result in constant temperature fluctuations.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #5 
Myates

Every other day water changes, or as OFL recommended to me for my 1gals, 1 50% and 1 100% weekly water changes because sometimes, water can be too clean. But it's your choice what you prefer/feel comfortable with.
I'm sure he will get better with the right water changes and temp, he's a cute little guy. Good luck to you :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #6 
Myates

Bottled water isn't good for fish, it lacks nutrients/bacteria needed. Tap water is fine, the conditioner will take out what is not needed/bad. Buy a thermometer and when doing water changes, try to get the water the same temp (76-82) in both his cup you are using with his old water and the new water. A cpl degrees change won't harm him when changing his water, it's the fluctuation over and over in his tank that does.

(you posted same time I did so sorry for dbl posting)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #7 
earthworm88

Hi there!

I think 1 gal is sufficient for most people who do frequent water changes, of course, that becomes a lot of work for the care taker especially if you have more than one tank to take care of. And I have also read quite a few people saying that their bettas prefer their smaller homes instead of the upgrades

As for the bottled water, is it spring water or filtered water? Of course with bottled water it can get expensive if you do frequent water change as well as some essential natural minerals may be missing in it. If I were you, I would get one of those 5 in 1 test strip to test the quality of your tap water to see if it's good enough to put the fish in and go from there.

As for the change rate vs temp issue, I had the same concern initially as I live in very hot climate now (in the 120's F at times), so the water coming out of the tap can be a lot hotter than the tank water (room temp). What I do is fill a 4 gallon water bottle (normally use in office) and fill it up with water and let it sit in the room the day before, so essentially that water temp is exactly the same as my fish tank. Currently, I change my water every other day now so I don't have to worry about the water temp and they are back in their clean home after 5 minutes or so.

Sorry, I wasn't sure about the tail biting issue as the picture you provided was not easy to see the fins and the belly. If you can put up another one, that would be great. I love the simple decoration of your tank and the color contrast
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #8 
RoderickUsher

Hi,

Thanks for the idea on letting some water sit out for a bit to equalize the temps! I had been using Spring water (I read that distilled lacks too muc stuff), but since the consensus seems to be that tap water is OK I might switch over to that (it would certainly make it easier to do more frequent changes).

I'll try to get some more pictures up later (I'm at work at the moment).

Thanks again,
David

Ps 120?? And I thought DC had been hot recently. Just noticed your all the way over in Dubai!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #9 
Sakura8

RoderickUsher, all of the advice given to you is good. Spring water is better than just filtered water and what you read about distilled is correct, it removes too many nutrients. I would definitely test the tap water first to see what its levels are but I agree, a good water conditioner should take care of everything in there. I highly recommend you use Seachem Prime or API Stress Coat because both of those neutralize/detoxify hard metals. Not all water conditioners do.

Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #10 
RoderickUsher

I've been using Aqeon Betta Bowl, but the Seachem stuff seems to be really popular -- I ordered some and it'll arrive tomorow. I checked up and DC dumps a TON of chloramine into its water, so the condition is a necessity for tap here.