Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #11 
Sakura8

Prime will be perfect for you then. My bottle says 2 drops per gallon (I have the super small bottle, only 1.7 oz) so if you feel like it's necessary, you can probably put in 3 drops per gallon. It's always better to overdo the conditioner than underdo it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #12 
RoderickUsher

Interesting to hear that Sakura!

I was always a little worried about overdoing the conditioner, and its good to know that a little more is better than a little less.
RoderickUsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #13 
Sakura8

No problem. Best of luck with the tap water. Let us know how it works.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #14 
RoderickUsher

Update

Update: Hi Everyone! Finn seems fairly unchanged since this morning. He has taken to sitting facing straight up, which I guess is less bad then lying on his side? He also is swimming a little more. Here are some more pictures:
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Am I looking at this right? Is he upside down?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #16 
Neil D

He is a tail biter, you can tell that from the "U" shaped bites in his tail. He needs a 2 gallon tank with a heater. You should see him perk up.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #17 
RoderickUsher

Sorry, should have added a description. He is lying on his side in this picture, its a top down one. He spends a little time on his side, some facing up, and then some sort of resting on his stomach.

Thanks for the tail biting tip Neil. I'm a little curious about it because I've never seen him do it....nor has my girlfriend. Would that be something I'd see him doing, or do they do it very quickly or something?

I agree on needing a two gallon tank, and a heater. I'm going to hold off on changing his habitat until he perks up a bit, and because he seems to be having a little difficulty swimming for great lengths I want him nearer to the surface.

Thanks all for your continued interest!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Aaaah, I get it. When you said he was facing straight up a lot more, I thought, wow, he's laying on his back?

Some people HAVE seen their bettas tailbite but I think most people don't. I'm guessing it's a quick nip here and there. The clean water will help keep his fins from getting infected. He sure is a handsome fellow.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #19 
RoderickUsher

I'm leaning towards swim bladder here. When he makes attempts to swim all of a sudden he's doing this crazy corkscew thing where he swims forward but rotates rapidly.

Do Bettas usually pull through swim bladder?

What do y'all think about the larger enclosure, should I hold off until he shows some improvement? Is changing environments stressful?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Oh yes, that's definitely swim bladder. It depends on what it causing the swim bladder to have problems. Usually swim bladder problems are a side symptom of a larger issue, such as constipation or bacterial infection. In these cases swollen organs or fluid push against the swim bladder, causing the betta to lose control of it. But swim bladder problems can also happen as a result of old age, indigestion, parasites, or even emaciation. For instance, I have a betta who is super emaciated (pet store rescue). When he ate for the first time, he did the same corkscrew thing because the food actually compressed against his swim bladder, he was that thin. When he digested the food, he regained control again. Problems arising from issues like parasites or bacterial infections can be hard to cure but other problems like indigestion can be cured.

Does Fin have this corkscrew problem all the time or only at certain times? Is he bloated or super thin at all? It doesn't look like it but I thought I'd double-check.