Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #21 
RoderickUsher

This is the first time I've ever seen the corkscrew swimming. He doesn't look bloated....he's ending his second day of fasting to try and clear up indigestion if it is it. We offered him a pellet just to see if he was interested and he has not shown interest in it.

Does that point to infection?
RoderickUsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #22 
Sakura8

It could. The frustrating part about fish is they show a few symptoms that could mean just about anything. And they often show the one symptom needed for diagnosis when it is too late. :( That said, typically bacterial infection is accompanied by severe bloating because it causes fluids to build up (ascites, or the condition we call "dropsy"). Has he been pooping at all?

Do you have epsom salts? If you do, go ahead and dissolve 1 tsp of epsom salts in some dechlorinated water and then add that to his tank. It's 1 gallon, right? The dosage is 1 tsp per gallon. If he is constipated or possibly has something like parasites, the epsom salts will help him clear those out of his system.

It may help to also treat him with Maracyn 2 in case he has an internal bacterial infection. I know Petsmart carries it, as well as other small fish stores.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #23 
RoderickUsher

I'll pick up the Epsom salts tomorow, and see if my local petco has the antibiotics, but their selection sucks. Had I thought of it I should have ordered it today along with the conditioner. While normally he lives in one gallon right now he is in less so he is close to the surface. Should I up the water levels? Can he get enough air without surfacing?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #24 
Sakura8

I'm almost positive Petco won't have Maracyn. :/ There's no Petsmart near you? They usually have a much better selection of medicines. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned something about the medicine sooner.

If you happen to have a 1 gallon jug, such as the kind spring water comes in, you can fill that with dechlorinated water and mix it with 1 tsp of the epsom salt. Otherwise, it depends on how much water there is. The dosage is 1 tsp per gallon so whatever amount of water is in there, I guess you can eyeball it and dose accordingly (1/2 tsp for half a gallon etc). It's okay if it's not an exact ratio, though. It's definitely more important to keep the water level lower so he can reach the surface. If he can't breathe air from the surface, he'll literally drown. Ironic, I know.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #25 
RoderickUsher

I'll check if there is anywhere in DC that has a better selection. As for reaching the surface... If he's not putting in the effort to swim to the top is there any way to get him more air?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #26 
Sakura8

He's not trying at all? :/ That's not a good sign, I'm sorry to say. :( Hrm. Well, you can lower the water level until it just covers him and hopefully he'll tip his head up and breathe every now and then. Other than that, I'm afraid there's not much more that can be done to help him get air. Airstones or filters that would aerate the water would also cause too much turbulence for him and in his state, he'd probably be bounced around too much. Poor guy, he sounds so weak. I really hope he pulls through for you, Roderick. He's such a handsome guy, too.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #27 
earthworm88

David,
Have you got a before picture of Finn? Does he normally have a darker head coloring like that? Is his anal fin bicolor with streaks of red?
As Sakura pointed out, there could be many issues with these type of symptoms. I believe his problem is beyond the SBD/bloating alone. I mentioned to you in my first post that he was a tail biter. They can do it really fast, they can do it at night while you sleep, unless you watch them like a hawk, most time you will only see the result and not the action.

I know it can be stressful, but If I were you, this is what I would do:
1) take Finn out into a temp cup
2) remove all the stuff from the tank, wash tank real well with hot water. Let cool.
3) in a separate jug/container, pre mix the 1 tsp ES in 1 gal of conditioned water = treatment (tx) water
4) pour tx water in the cleaned tank enough to cover Finn to breath easier
5) change water daily and repeat for 5 days and observe, may need to up ES dosage?
6) if you have the meds as Sakura suggested, add that to your tx water as well.
7) if you have frozen bloodworm, feed him to see if interested

Good luck with Finn!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #28 
RoderickUsher

Morning folks,

Finn made it throught he night. I found a petstore in DC that has Maracyn-2, and my gf is going to go pick some up during her lunch break. I'll grab the epsom on my way home and, assuming he makes it through the day, mixup the water.

Thanks for the detailed steps on prepping the water Earthworm. I'd try a frozen bloodworm but the last time I offered him one (when he was healthy) he had absolutely ZERO interest in it, so I'd be surprised if he had any now.

With both the new conditioner, ES, and Maracyn-2, is it better to make a slightly stronger dose than weaker dose?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #29 
Sakura8

Good morning, I'm glad to hear Finn made it through the night. Very glad. :) And uhm, do you mean a slightly stronger or slightly weaker does of everything or of just one of the three things (conditioner, ES, Maracyn-2)?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #30 
RoderickUsher

I guess for all three?
Would following the package instructions on Maracyn-2, and giving a little extra of the ES and conditioner be a reasonable approach?