Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #1 
Thunderloon

Sororitah!

So I had some problems with girls getting sick and dying in their 10g sorority tank and I've traced it back, not really. No idea what it is unless its poisoned bugs getting in. But anyway four survived.

So I put them and Buck, bull molly extrodinare (-ly stupid) in with the Caracidae (tetra). He thinks he's a special female Betta, I blame his upbringing. He's known more than twenty girls, survived three plagues, one filtration and chemical poisoning. He even seems immune to one of the chemicals we use which says "very toxic to fish". But at some point every one of those girls has come up to him and flared at him wondering if he would flare back.

So, the word "sororitah", imagine Cartman saying it...

Buck's swimming around in the 10g tetra+ tank and the single bloodfin takes exception to him and starts chasing him. Buck shoots back to Red who flares at the boodfin and gets no response. So ALL FOUR girls come over and flare at the bloodfin! (Red is head girl, full pecking order response) Then they sat there fins extended swimming in formation in the gentle current with buck charging back and forth through them fins full-out and pretty. Buck is nearly twice the size of the girls. As yet the funniest thing I've seen.

Respect the Sororitah! Mollies and female Betta: Compatable!
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

Wait...do you have four females in with a male?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:14 AM   #3 
ChelseaK

I don't think buck is a betta. But I was a little confused haha. I love the Cartman reference, haha, it grabbed my attention immediately!
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #4 
youlovegnats

Ahhh! Ok I re-read it again. Phew!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #5 
kathstew

Buck is a molly. :P
Sounds hilarious XD
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:23 AM   #6 
Thunderloon

I had two fem and two boy black mollys at one time but they're like puppies, anything goes in the water they'll sniff and bite. For me its just a little too much playfulness in the tank.

Buck (had two males, so stupid they used one name 'buck rogers' both from the same litter, one died) is my last molly, a baby of the last girl. He's exceptionally happy even when startled.

Has been an excellent companion to the girls tho he does tend to put on the Bar'b'que bib real quick when one dies.

There was another time when the tank was full of wysteria when he suddenly realized, after five weeks, that there were TWO blue girls! He drove himself back and forth between them for hours, I assume saying "wait, she's over here now!" the whole time. Finally they both followed him back and discovered each other, he was stunned. Wisteria can really take over a tank!
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote