Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #1 
Petunia87

Can't get rid of these worms

My female got what I'm 99% sure are internal parasites back in July. She refused to eat the Jungle pellets so I used the API cure. They went away for about a week and then she got another oen so I used the API cure again. This time they went away for several weeks, but appear to be back. Most of the time her poop is brown but these are white and curl at the end and it takes her a day or two to pass. So I am assuming they are an internal parasite? She is eating like normal and acting basically the same. What should I do to get rid of them once and for all? Also, I am a tad confused about the garlic soaking method to try and get her to eat. We have a big can of pre-crushed garlic in the fridge can I somehow use that? Please explain. Or are these things I am seeing just poop? I didn't think that poop was typically white nor did I think it curled/ took a day to pass. Up until July I had never seen her with anything coming out of her (had her a little over a year). Any help would be appriciated.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets, twice daily and one day off to fast

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly changes with a vacum
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Yes...I have a cheap test kit and they appear in the normal range

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No besides these nasty worm looking things
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change

When did you start noticing the symptoms? The first time (early July) but then she went several weeks being fine and I noticed a new one last night

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not since this

How old is your fish (approximately)? I got her in May of 2010

Thank you for help :) We appriciate it
Petunia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Frog had the same problem with parasites coming back. 3 treatments of Jungle fungus tabs didn't do the job and I had to switch her over to General Cure.

As far as the garlic goes, as long as it's just crushed/minced garlic with no additives, then you can just soak her food in some of the juice for a little bit. I think OFL told me that the garlic parasite treatment takes a few weeks of feeding straight garlic soaked foods for each meal.

She's not acting lethargic, clamping, and eating just fine? It may be that she's just having a bit of egg poop. Females are confusing with identifying parasite poop and egg poop. I can't tell the difference.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #3 
Petunia87

Yeah I have done 2 treatments of the API general cure with no luck. Her poop is currently whitish and kinda curls at the end and looks like it has a little tiny piece of almost like cotton (or something similar) to it. She is acting totally normal...eating anything I give her, swimming around and such. Could it be that she has just reached the age where she has eggs? She is my first female so I'm not sure.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

It could be egg poops then if the rest of the poop looks regular. If it's stringy then I'd worry. If it is, see if soaking medicated pellets in garlic juice will get her to eat them since internal treatments for internal parasites are the quickest and most effective way. The garlic in itself is anti-parasitic, but it takes a while to do the job. It won't hurt to feed her garlic soaked food long term either I don't think. It boosts the immune system and most bettas like garlic.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Petunia, did your girl get kinda big and bloated-looking but only right around where her egg spot is? If she did, then she may have gotten eggy. She either dropped her eggs and ate them or reabsorbed them and now is passing them from her system. Try and remember how she pooped when she had parasites. Did she poop long strings all day when she had the parasites? Or did she poop normally but with white pieces in it?

Not long ago one of my girls got eggy and was like this. It took five days of almost non-stop pooping of long, eggy strings before she was better. Here is a link to the thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....t=Bloated+Eggy

Do your girl's poops look anything like this?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #6 
Petunia87

Currently she has one long string that has two peices of like off whitish looking poop connected by what looks like a peice of clear poop. The strand just keeps getting longer and she has had it since last night and it still carrying it around. She also looks like she has gotten skinnier on the top of her body (like around her head). She is acting totally normal though. Right now the long string just keeps getting longer and won't detach.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Petunia, I believe she may just be eggy. That's how my girl was when she was eggy. She just kept pooing and pooing and it never seemed to detach. To help her, you can put her in 1tsp of epsom salt per gallon, pre dissolve the salt first.

I'm not sure but I think parasitic poop is often white, not off-white.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:46 AM   #8 
Petunia87

Could she still be eggy even without a male anywhere close to her? The poo is now still a whitish color but curves around at the bottom. She does look a little skinnier along the top of her body. Should I try for another round of API General Cure? She has had 2 rounds of it in the past month and a half so I don't want to hurt her by doing another round. But if it won't hurt I may try that. I'm not sure I will be able to get her to eat the anti parasite because it is a lot bigger than her normal food. She is still hungry and happy. I've been trying to get a good picture but can't. I have pictures from her first time around (attached) and it looks very much the same.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #9 
Sakura8

That looks like eggy poo to me because of the coloring. A female can definitely get eggy even without a male around. Some just are eggy all the time. If you want to try the anti-parasite pellets, you can crush them up into smaller pieces. Otherwise, I definitely recommend 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon. Parasites or eggy, it will help either way. She's very cute, by the way.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #10 
Petunia87

Thank you so much for your help. I will add some epsom salt to her tank tonight. With that do I need to be doing a small daily water change (like 25% each day) or should I just let it stay in there at the full effect until I do a normal tank cleaning on Sunday night? Hopefully she is just eggy. This makes me a lot less worried about her though.