Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #1 
Creat

Mystery Disease killed 5 so far....

I have no idea what it is all my males I had about 3 months ago are now showing the same symptoms... what are the symptoms...? Lethargy thats all I got... they lay down and just stay there breathing heavy. My idea internal parasites but I have no idea how they all got them the ones who got sick showed it before they moved into a divided tank and now the symptoms are worse. Also they kinda have a bloated tummy and dont eat as much so I am going to try a anti parasitic, what do you guys recommend? Right now they are all heated in a tank at 78* with aq salt.
So far I have lost Montey, Salmon, Hucklberry, Zimmerman, and an unnamed...
Ones sick now: Gringo, Poe, Little Ryan, Splatter and now Coal
I dont know what I'd do if I lost more... please guys I need help...
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

I know General Cure saved Frog's live when she had a 3 week bout with parasites. Jungle Parasite tabs might work as well since they aren't eating so much and the medicated pellets aren't so appealing.

Epsom salt might help with the bloating too, but I don't know about using it at the same time with aq salt.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Creat, I'm so sorry to hear you've lost so many of your guys. :( I agree with you, it sounds like an internal parasite or a bad bacterial infection. My suggestion is to try Maracyn 2 and General Cure together, if you think your boys are strong enough to handle the double dose of medicine. Also, slowly switch them from AQ salt to epsom salt, 1 tsp per gallon. The combination of the meds should take care of any internal parasites and any bacteria that might be lurking in there.

If you don't feel comfortable using two medicines, then go with the General Cure. But in both cases, be sure to use epsom salt.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'll be thinking about your boys and I hope they pull through for you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #4 
Creat

Thanks guys oh and my other question should I does the entire divided tank together or just take the ones showing symptoms out? And I wouldnt mind doing 2 medicines.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

I would dose the entire tank with epsom salt for sure. If it's parasites it would probably be safer to dose the entire tank with general cure just to kill any eggs that may have dropped as well since those will just keep restarting the problem.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #6 
Sakura8

My only concern is making sure the medicine gets to all parts of the tank. One time I tried to do tannins for my divided 5.5g. I put the bag in one side and a half hour later, I noticed that all the tannins were on just the one side, none had gotten through the holed divider. :/ It was kinda weird, like a black and white tank. Only, uh, tea brown. Brown and white tank.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

In my divided tank I just divide the medicine up between the three parts, that way it gets to everyone that needs it for sure and might go through the divider later. I usually put the most of the dose in with the worst one just so I can be sure they're going to get treatment.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Good idea. Much better than what I did with the tannins, which was cup out one male, remove the divider, swish the water around, try to jam the divider back in, mumble under my breath a lot, finally get the divider back and release the cupped betta. If there's a hard way, I'm sure to find it.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #9 
Pataflafla

It's alright. I've learned the hard way on how to get around doing things the hard way. I've got 18 years of practice on that. Stove is hot, gotta touch it to make sure. I'm just thankful I figured something out for the medications instead of having to deal with 2 dividers that like to roll up unless wedged in somewhere. the Petsmart ones are convenient until you have to set them up.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #10 
Creat

Here's an update
I could only get my hands on Maracyn II
Poe has died...
and each of the males has developed some kind of bloody red streak on their fins or body...