Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 AM   #1 
BlakbirdxGyarados

How would this mix...?

I've just had this burning question anytime I think about breeding bettas.
I'm not planning on breeding anyone (at least not until I free up some space in my rather cluttered room, lol), but still.

What would you get if you mix...

1. Opaque white x cellophane

2. Blue/red x cellophane

3. Opaque white x opaque electric blue

4. All black x opaque white

5. Dragon blue/pink x cellophane

(I love cellophanes, can you tell?)

I don't understand how colors mix, is really what I'm saying.... I'm also not concerned about tail types in this.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #2 
TequilatheBetta

I'm not an expert, but here i go...
1. Probably mostly cellophanes
2. Lots of marbles, no telling what colour (depends on how pure the line is)
3. ^see above
4. black and white marbles? like a cow? that would be so cool :)
5. Again, lots of marbles. Maybe a few with dragon scales.
I have a cellophane. Or he might be an albino, cause his eyes are red... He's being treated for severe ich right now but you can see his pictures here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78594
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #3 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Your fish is gorgeous. He actually reminds me of my fish Revenant. I hope he gets well soon!

Thanks for the input, too. I wondered about cellophanes mixing with colored bettas because I didn't know how that would mix... like cellophane with color genes? I suppose pure color lines mixing with other pure color lines makes marbles... which opens a door and closes another. :'D

Also, albino fish can have a pattern... I've seen a lot of albino guppies with color and pattern to them, but they have red eyes. There's also an albino Oscar fish at work, but he's got a bit of a pattern to him, too. You might just have an albino cellophane. :) Which I think is doubly cool, even if that sounds foolish of me. xD;
Old 08-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #4 
Dragonlady

Unless you know the lineage of any of these fish for at least 3 generations, it is hard to say what the outcome would be. Most cellophanes tend to carry some marble that may not appear until the fish is over 8 months old.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #5 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I did buy Jade as a white betta with cellophane fins... he very quickly marbled into the dark blue and dark red he is now. And he's still changing. X__x

I figured generations woul play into this too... I guess when I do have a pair in mind, I'll ask about that one exclusively to figure out how the kids come out.

In any case, thanks to everyone!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #6 
Amphibianite

IMO I would love to see the black and white spawn to see what comes out of that. I love black and white bettas.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #7 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I'm interested in that too, Amphi, but the only "pure" black bettas I have ever seen are Black Orchids, and personally I'm not a fan of crwontails... >> Harder for me to tell about fin rot, fin nipping, rips/tears, etc. |D (I do want one though, but only when I have the room for one.) Even then, I see a lot of Black Orchids with some color to them, as well... Still, I guess it counts.

Panda bettas exist... Or I don't know if that's what they're called, but they're black and white. I wonder if their parents were one black, one white?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #8 
freeflow246

My fish is a cellophane, but I think that he might have some white color in him that is just a bit difficult to see. He has some black specks on his fins though, and I think that he might start really marbling soon. :D
I would love love love to breed a black betta with a white one if I ever had the chance. It doesn't seem like you could really go wrong with that.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #9 
Amphibianite

Yeah I understand that XD I like CTs actually lol, but I think it would be great to see a B&W HM.
Of course it all comes down to generations and genos. Was there any color besides the ones we see in the last few generations? Etc. Never know what you will get.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #10 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Unless you get the betta from a breeder who has done quite a few generations... but with that many bettas, it might be hard to keep track of them by generation 3. |D