Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #11 
tf1265

Female bettas can sometimes coexist, but it is tricky. They are still aggressive, just less so than males. Their aggression can be handled in larger groups - meaning their is a hierarchy to it. There will be one who comes out on top as the dominant female, and in order to ease the aggression on the other fish it is generally recommended that female sororities have at least 5 together. I only have 2, and that means that there would be one dominant (aka bully) fish, and one submissive (bullied) fish. The stress on the bullied fish would be terrible. I also only have a 5 gallon tank, and in order to keep 5 bettas together I would need minimum of a 10 gallon.

It also depends on fish personalities. Sometimes the females can be as aggressive as males, and if you happen to get more than 1 very aggressive female in a sorority they might not work.

Basically, you are right that females can coexist in one tank, but it is definitely a risk no matter what - they are still bettas, and less aggressive doesn't mean not aggressive. Maybe someday I would try a sorority, but I'm content to watch them interact through the divider and know that they are safe.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #12 
KristinM

I got my 3 girls at the same time, from the same tank and the same already existing sorority. In fact they had a male in with them too in the store and were all fine. I figured if I got them young and small they would have a better chance of growing up together and keeping that happy atmosphere. So far so good.
KristinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #13 
sorrelhorse1

Boo did that to me once. I came home to find him lying on the counter. He was completely dried out and I thought he was dead but when I scooped him up he moved. So I put him back in his tank and he sat on the bottom for a bit and now he is his old self. He also has like a 2 inch high bubble nest going now. Hehe talk about a near death experience.
sorrelhorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #14 
Punki

From what ive experienced my females jump much higher and much more often then my male, he never jumps really, but my females have jumped a couple of inches before to get a snack off my finger or impatiently jump to nip the food im pinching into their tank. I T my dividers also. Glad your fish wasnt hurt! :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #15 
Kytkattin

Though females might not have the want or need to jump, they will be much more physically capable of doing so than the long finned males. I would imagine that the wild betta splendens are very good at jumping as a survival technique when their water dries up.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #16 
Neil D

Not only that, they jump to avoid other males, or get away from one.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #17 
KristinM

So all this said, what is the best thing to put over the tank if need be temporarily? I placed a piece of glass over mine while I wait for the canopy but there are still places they could jump from.

Ive heard of using cling wrap but doesnt that starve them of air?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #18 
Neil D

No it shouldn't. If you poke holes or leave a corner or two un-covered.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #19 
betta dude

wow that is realy wierd
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:00 AM   #20 
KristinM

I'll give it a try - although i now have my big male next to my new female who is really small still and they seem very happy :) She is a serious tease!

The other 2 girls are in a closed tank.

Tags
betta, jump