Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #1 
dragonflie

Opinions on food

So I've always been a pellet fan. I used to use Hikari pellets about a year ago. But because the food was old this time around when I had bettas again, I wanted to replace it.

So I ended up with Aquarian betta pellets. But not only are the a little too big; I think that they just aren't very "good." The first ingredient is wheat. For reference, here is the analysis: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753114

I really wanted to try the new life spectrum stuff, but no one in my area carries the betta food, and of the ones that carry any of that brand there are only a few. I did find a NLS "community fish food," which I realize is not designed for bettas, but after looking at the analysis still seems better than the aquarian type. And, krill and fish meal are the first two ingredients. Here: http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/fd...+300+Gram.html

So I guess what I'm asking for are opinions on whether it's still better to use a much better brand of food (NLS in this case) even though it's not designed for bettas; and when the food I have that IS designed for bettas seems like it's not suited to their dietary needs.

What would you guys do in my shoes?
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

I think that it would be fine. I would personally go with the NLS betta formula or the small fish formula because they are slightly higher in protein.
You could also supplement the pellets with frozen occasionally, if you're worried about protein though.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #3 
dragonflie

True, I do have frozen bloodworms on hand that they get anyway at least once a week. I know the betta formula would have been ideal..but did you take a look at the "betta" food made by Aquarian? lol I'm thinking that one looks pretty bad...
Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

The new life spectrum community fish food would be better than the Aquarian, for sure. I have honestly never seen it before. 0_o
But it looks to be mostly corn,soy and wheat.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #5 
dragonflie

Indeed, I think I'm going to throw that junk out, and use the community food for now, and just place an order at amazon.com for the betta food. I could probably use these granules in the community tank too; I can't imagine the rasboras and cories wouldn't eat it.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #6 
dragonflie

Oo so I decided to let them all taste the new food, one teeny pellet for each betta and a couple for the rasboras, and some new sinking food for the cories that was higher quality...and they all LOVED it. All my fish seem very excited over new food and I am a very happy camper. I haven't seen the cories frenzy this much in awhile.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #7 
Amphibianite

I use aqueon betta pellets. They are small but full of protein. Let me get you the ingredients.
38% protein
Whole Fish meal ( whole herring and other mixed fishes) whole wheat meal, soy meal, shrimp meal, whole dried krill, wheat germ, corn gluten meal, squid meal, garlic

I know there is a lot of other products in it too, but there is a lot of good stuff in it too. My boys enjoy them, and with supplementing their diet with live foods, frozen, etc should be great.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #8 
Kytkattin

I personally feed the NLS Small Fish Formula with great results (along with frozen bloodworms). It has the highest protein of all the NLS foods that I know of, and the pellets are so tiny that even the smallest betta could eat them (Not fry obviously, but most anything you would find in a cup at the store).
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote