Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #1 
Banicks

I have a little fella - Need a little assistance

G’Day all,

I bought my first Betta fish yesterday :D When I spoke to the gentleman in the store he instructed me to change 20% water once a week.

I have the following setup:
Tank – AquaOne Mirage 40 (23L [6g])
Water Filter – AquaOne Clearview 100 (3w for Aquariums up to 40L [10g])
Heater – AquaOne 25w (for up to 25L [6.6g])
Thermometer – AquaOne suction cup in water type
Substrate – Bag ‘o’ Gravel (washed, and washed, and washed, and washed *grumble* took forever to try and make them clean)
Plant – Anubias grown onto a nice piece of driftwood with hidey holes and caves
Decoration – 1 WB Sylvester the Cat plastic figurine (5cm)

Would someone experienced be able to inform me if the quoted water change schedule is correct? If not, what %:days schedule would be optimal? Also, do I add additional water conditioner – and if so, do I add the calculated water conditioner amount from the 20% or do I do a full water conditioner add to the tank again.

For example:
(a) 23L = 5mL of water conditioner
(b) 20%; 5L (approx) = 0.1mL (approx)

I was also given a bag of fish stuff to “Kick-start my cycle”. He told me to pour it into my filter once it was all setup. When I got home I put Victor (Betta), into a quiet little dark place in his take home bag whilst I washed everything. Put tank in position, placed substrate and plant, then filled tank. Placed allotted amount of water conditioner into water, then attached heater and filter to tank and began running filter on lowest intake/output setting. Put fish stuff into reserve of filter to run through filters and into tank, and then just let the whole tank and bits settle for an hour and a bit.

After this time, I placed Victor (still in his bag) into the water to acclimatise for 10 minutes (something this fella didn’t tell me to do, but I read PewPewPew’s DayOne! write up and thought it best to do). After 10 minutes I then placed an amount of tank water into Victor’s current bag water so that it was a 50/50 mix in the bag and left him for another 10 minutes to relax. In this time he seemed to perk up a little and get and eager look at his new surroundings through the plastic bag.

Finally, I scooped him out with a fine net and placed him into the tank slowly. He kinda just sat there for a little while, floating around. Then started to explore – I was worried about the filter, but he swam up to it straight away and investigated, then over to the anubias, then the heater and finally tried to bite Sylvester’s ear off LOL.

I left him to explore for an hour or so, when I came back he seem to be hidden away in a corner next to the heater, with his head near the surface just floating with tails down – is this normal? I’ve seen him do this in a few different places, sometimes next to the heater, sometimes opposite the heater, and another time he was lying on the floor upright – was he asleep or something? I gave him 2 pellets which he ate and left him to his devices for the night.

This morning he was swimming around still, then when I left for work his mouth was in the corner up on the surface with body and tails hanging down near the heater again. Is something wrong or is he just comfortable doing that?

One theory I had was that he was trying to hide from the current that the filter might be creating, as the heater sits 2 inches out of a corner, with the filter another 4 inches along. Any ideas?

I also figure he might just be settling to the space. I hope the little guy is ok! I’ve been checking the temperature quite often to ensure everything is ok – stable 25C [77’F]
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #2 
Amphibianite

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Water changes for your tank with a filter should only have to do the 20% once a week in my opinion. I am no expert though.
As for him floating around if he is active and not having trouble swimming then he is just relaxing. All my boys do that from time to time they just like to float and relax. You may see him on the bottom of his tank relaxing too. It is just something they do.
Would love to see pic of your boy and his home.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:53 AM   #3 
bahamut285

Welcome to the forum!

As long as he is not bottom sitting then it should be fine, he's probably shy or sleeping like you said. With that size tank, I would do anywhere between 25-50% water changes a week if he's in there by himself :)

As for the water conditioner, there is no harm in using a full dose after a water change, you don't need to adjust for new water or anything.

Let us know of any updates on Victor!

I hope to see pictures soon! <3
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #4 
Banicks

Hi Amphibianite - thanks very much for your post, reassures me :D

I will try and take some photos when he displays a bit more ^^

bahamut285 - Thanks for your information :)

Pics will come soon, he is a very beautiful boy!

Last edited by Banicks; 08-22-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

Hi and welcome! I love that you took the time to do a little research first :) Also love your AV ;)

He is likely just settling in or relaxing that way. You may be right about him trying to hide from the filter - you may want to try to baffle it. I know there are probably threads in this forum about doing it, or you can google. Basically you use a filter sponge and shove it in the outflow, or use a 1liter bottle and cut it up and tape over the outflow.

As for the water conditioner, I have always been told to just add the amount to treat the entire tank.

And for water changes, 20-50% on a weekly basis is fine. I err more to 40-50% myself.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #6 
Aven

I have a 6 gallon Fluval Edge and this is my schedule: 50% water changes for 2months or until cycled. Then 25% every week. Also, he may be hanging out near the heater cause thats the warmest part of the tank.
Aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #7 
bahamut285

You should place a thermometer as far away from the heater as possible to see if it is heating your tank effectively~ Water change schedule looks good to me, though I would personally just do 50% a week after it cycles
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #8 
Banicks

Cajunamy:
Hi Cajunamy, thanks very much. I made the hat myself from lots of cardboard for a morning tea competition – totally won it too :D

I’ll leave it for a little while more before taking steps to baffle – I saw a step by step process on here to baffle woohoo! Watching him yesterday night he was patrolling around the tank and didn’t seem to be too bothered, so I’m thinking perhaps it’s a warmth issue as Aven said.

Aven:
Thank you for your post. It sounds like we have a similar sized tank so this advice is very useful.

My aquarium guy forgot to give me some plastic clips so that my tank lid fits, so I have to go back in and he has also requested I bring in a sample of my tank water, I presume to undertake nitrate and ammonia tests. I was planning to ask him to recommend a testing kit when I’m there so that I can monitor my levels and ensure my cycle goes well.

Thus far Victor seems happy swimming around but it’s only the 2nd day and I’m doing my best to monitor temperature at this time. Concerning this morning was that the temperature was only just stable at 23*C (73.4’F), and my heater ‘on’ light was off – this only comes on when it is actively heating. I fiddled with it and had to turn it up a degree to activate the element, so the setting on the heater is now on half 29*c – 30*c (84.2’F-86’F). My best guess is that the internal temperature level of the heater is picking up heat from its own filaments/glass casing and or surroundings rather than the actual tank temperature, and turning itself off before the tank water is anywhere near accurate throughout. If this is indeed the case I will be looking at purchasing a more reliable heater. We’re currently in winter here, and the outside temperature is 16*C (60’F). So I really want to ensure he is warm enough without cooking the little fella.

Can I just clarify how long you undertake 25% every week for. Is it a case of 2 months @ 50% weekly to establish a biofilter, then @ 25% weekly until Nitrate or Ammonia is present again?

Bahamut285:
Thank you for your post. Currently my thermometer is opposite corner to the heater – so this should ensure effective readouts J

I am very concerned about cycling and still trying to read up as much as I possibly can find on the subject. I’m starting to understand the cycle now, not panicking as much, just need to get the testing bits and be ready for it all! Rather exciting J Hope Victor appreciates his new home and the effort going in, and thanks again to all giving this noob a hand J
Old 08-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #9 
Neil D

The guy at the petstore seemed oddly knowledgeable. That's good.

Cycling is easy. For a crash course: do two 50% changes weekly for the first month, although for your tank size, I would do two 25% WCs. Then dial it down to one 20% weekly.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #10 
GreenTea

Sweet hat yo! Welcome to the forum!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote