Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #11 
InvertedVantage

He seems a little better now. He's not floating as much on his side, and doesn't have as much difficulty going down. The swelling has also gone down some. :) If he's back to normal by tomorrow should I still put him in the salt treatment?
InvertedVantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #12 
Pataflafla

If he's bloated still, then yes. If he can swim without difficulty and isn't bloated then you can hold off on the salts.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #13 
InvertedVantage

He seems to be doing alright now. He's swimming around pretty easily, a little lethargic, I imagine because of the stress of yesterday. The swelling's gone down some and I'm keeping a close eye on him. :) I'll change his water tonight and probably have to get some new plants; I didn't take the planets out of the tank when I put in the AQ salt and I think they're decaying. :(

Thanks for your help everyone. :)

Old 08-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #14 
earthworm88

Yay!! Glad to hear he is doing better.

Hope he will have a full recovery soon! Sorry to hear about the plants.
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #15 
InvertedVantage

I just switched out his tank water after skipping a day; now his tail has developed large holes near the end. Previously I was treating him for tail rot as I thought I saw some small pinholes. I stopped the treatment with the bloating, and the water he's in now has no salt. When I pulled him out and put him into a cup I didn't notice any holes, so it seems like these have developed in the past few hours?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #16 
HarlequinBBRM

IMHO fin/tail rot is not as important to fix as bloating. If you keep the water clean (100% every day until improvement is seen) it should heal on its own. When he is completely over his bloat episode, and the rot is the same or worse, then you can use AQ salt (for only 10 days, 1 tsp/gallon).

Are you absolutly sure is it fin rot though (black edges, etc.)?
HarlequinBBRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #17 
InvertedVantage

He's had black edges since I've got him, but they're especially dark so I think they're a part of his coloring. It looks like he might have gotten torn though, now that I think about it, though there's nothing different in his tank.

Also I really haven't had any luck with the temperature; I have to put in cold water just to get it down to around 80. :\ Today it was hovering around 90 so I switched it out, now it's back to around 85.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #18 
HarlequinBBRM

If it is getting that warm, you could try ice cubes in a ziplock bag to help bring down the temp. Just make sure you keep an eye on your thermometer and make sure it doesn't get too cold.
HarlequinBBRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #19 
InvertedVantage

Ok, so I fasted him for 2 days and then only fed him a once a day for the next two days. I changed his water and I wake up this morning to find him bloating and at the top of the tank again? I don't know how it happened this time?
Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #20 
InvertedVantage

So last night I checked on him, he was really pale. I decided maybe I'd been too overeager about changing his water (been doing it every day for a week or so now) and maybe it was stressing him out. I left him alone, fed him a single flake, and went to bed. I wake up in the morning, everything seems A-OK; his color's back, he seems just as active as normal. I've been leaving a cover over his tank so it's dark and hopefully a bit more relaxing. Haven't seen him since noon because of that. I take off the tarp now to feed him another flake and he's bloated and stuck at the top of the tank again! Should I go ahead and change his water/put in that epsom salt?