Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #21 
youlovegnats

You can mix any fin type of betta splenden together. You will probably end up with combtails and ragged looking VT's (assuming your girl is a VT)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #22 
Animalfreak

I have no clue to what she is.
Animalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #23 
Animalfreak

yay I think she might be
Old 08-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #24 
Animalfreak

If anybody has any tips on breeding and conditioning i'd love to hear them.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #25 
Punki

How i conditioned-Keep them out of sight for 2 weeks, mass feed mosquito larvae to both of them 2x daily, only fed a pellet or two here and there, not daily. Kept their temps at about 78-80 with more frequent water changes.

If you have oak trees you can put the leaves in the tank and they will stain the tank a brownish orange color, these tannins help the bettas relax. Make sure the female has lots of hiding spaces, not just one plant or a cave, half my tank was stuffed tightly with plants real/fake so she could easily hide while the male couldnt fit into some areas she could. Oncve youve conditioned a couple weeks you put her in a clear container in the tank with him. The tannins from the leaves help his bubbles hold, if you dont use the leaves put some clearwrap on tank top to hold in humidity, that helps his nest stick also. My male couldnt make his nest under a cup for some reason so i used bubblewrap, he preferred it. After a day or two.. or three youll see her bar up if shes dark colored, her eggspot will stick out more, she will be plump and when he swims by to flare and dance she will put her head down in a submissive pose and do an S shaped dance. Then you can release her and keep an eye on them. I was very paranoid so i stayed up for 24 hours straight to witness them breeding. My male is pretty aggressive. They will nip and chase each other, hopefully she hides and rests a bit. Every now and then he will find her and she will flare and he will try to lead her to the nest. She will eventually go check it out, if she likes it she will start pushing on him, if she doesnt she will destory it or nip it, or just swim away, any disapproval makes the male mad and they are likely to play chase again lol. Eventually she will accept his nest and mate or if it wasnt meant to be for them they will ignore each other/do nothing/fight, in that case, remove and recondition. If theres injury you can treat with aquarium salt 1tsp a gallon. If they do decide to mate then he will wrap around her and put the eggs in the nest hopefully, once they finish he will chase her off, thats when you remove her. Then you have to hope hes a good daddy and cares for his eggs, doesnt eat them or ignore them. Once the babies hatch they will have their egg yolk sack for the first day or two, and they cant swim horizontally so he will pick them up and blow them into the bubblenest, once they can swim on their own you can remove him and feed them. If your using real plants they will feed off of infusoria, microscopic things in the plants, if not youll have to have a culture of microworms or baby brine shrimp hatching for them. Last resort is the egg yolk method but thats not good for water quality and some wont eat it. They nmostely need wiggly foods to munch on. I think i have written too much, hopefully i havent forgotten anything and i make sense XD Make sure your ready for all those little ones, they need fed so often and water changes are sometimes brutal lol :P
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #26 
Animalfreak

Thanks that helps me a lot. You know what you are talking about.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #27 
Animalfreak

My avatar pic is of my female I have.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #28 
youlovegnats

She looks like a VT to me. ^^ A very cute one too!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #29 
Animalfreak

Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #30 
Animalfreak

I just love her