Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #1 
TequilatheBetta

Female chomps a guppy.

And I was so happy, seeing how well she was doing in the heated, planted, filtered 30 gallon tank.....
BAM. Most of my guppy's tail is gone and he's shaking behind the heater. It couldn't have been the other guppy, they've been together for three years and no incidents except for some food stealing and tail nipping.
Took her out and put her back in the cold, undecorated 1.5 gallon salad container. Should I take the guppy out and put him in QT or just leave him in the breeder net in the tank? He's a little on the old side, will he die from the injury?
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 
Neil D

I'm not sure exactly. But I would think he would be ok. I think that guppies would be better off with out heaters, compared to bettas. Or you can float the "separation" container in the main tank.

How big is the tank they were in?

EDIT: I just saw it...30g. How many guppies are in the tank?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #3 
TequilatheBetta

I know, I put the heater in because I wanted to put Vicious in. (i'm calling her that from now on, LOL).
I'll leave the breeder box in, but I was wondering if I should do AQ salt treatment?
Just two guppies. They've been there their whole lives, old geezers. Even lived with giant fancy goldfish once. (my mom brought them home). Their tails are way too long for their bodies so they move really slowly.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #4 
Neil D

Cool, oldies! XD

I don't know how guppies will handle salt...I'll see if I can get someone more knowledgable to help you...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #5 
diablo13

Guppies are REALLY hardy when it comes to salt. They can handle 150% of seawater salt content. I suppose it may help him, but I'm no expert. Do you have any Tannins or API Stess Coat? Tannins( from IAL) came help calm the fish down and help it heal, Stress Coat does the same.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Guppies can tolerate colder temps. If you can, put the guppy in QT and put Vicious back in the heated tank. Is it just the guppy's tail or did she bite some of his body too? If it's just his tail, it should grow back, same as a betta tail. And how old is old? It occurs to me I have no idea what the lifespan of a guppy is.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #7 
diablo13

His/hers is 3 years old. I think their lifespan is like 3-5 years :/
Old 08-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #8 
TequilatheBetta

Thanks Sakura and Diablo :)
I think I'll put the two guppies in QT- because Vicious' water is freezing! And since they can handle colder temps then it should be fine for them. Would 1.5 gallons be okay for 2 guppies?
Diablo, does stress coat in water conditioner count?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #9 
diablo13

I think it helps it along, but I think for the purpose of healing it's twice the amount. But don't quote me on that. Do you mean as a permanent home for them? Or QT? For QT it's fine, but for permanent housing I would say 5 gallons, but again, don't quote me
Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Ah, yes, for healing, it's twice the amount but any bit from Stress Coat helps. And again, yeah, 1.5g for QT is good. In theory, you could keep two guppies in 1.5g with every other day water changes but 3-5g would be better.

3 yrs. Wow, that's impressive.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote