Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #11 
Neil D

My guy Josh had the same issue. His tail either fell off, or he bit it off. I would keep the salt at the current level.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #12 
earthworm88

Yikes! So sorry to hear a chunk of Sebastian's dorsal got broken off. I think sometimes this may be a self defense and regeneration thing. If it was truly broken, logically it would be easier to grow a new one as it would be next to impossible to keep the dorsal fin straight up at all times to fuse the broken parts back together. So don't worry too much and continue to monitor him.

I would also keep the AQ dosage the same for now and just watch for any discoloration around the edges. Super clean water is more essential here.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

stress coat helps fins regrow
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #14 
Luimeril

i say put him back in his regular tank and add a little AQ salt. it's nothing to worry about. if you have any/can get some, Indian Almond Leaf will help his tail and dorsal grow back, and will relax him alot.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #15 
earthworm88

^^ditto above!
Also, feed a varied high protein diet...especially the disgustingly smelly frozen bloodworms *pukes*
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #16 
HarlequinBBRM

Thanks for evrything guys! I can now see some new growth along the original part of the hole (~1.5 mm of new growth). I will continue the treatment until the ten day mark and will keep him in a small tank until I move back into res at school and until I feel he can swim better in his 5 gallon. Would decaf green tea be just as good instead of IAL?
HarlequinBBRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #17 
Luimeril

that's what i've been told. i, however, have no experience with it.

to keep him from getting too stressed in the smaller tank, put things around it, so he can look at it, and move it around every now and then. Dante loved it when he was alive. he'd always check out what i moved, and LOVED the red Dungeons and Dragons dice i had, and the Pokemon figure i have.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #18 
HarlequinBBRM

I've got a floating orange "training" golf ball in there currently, and he seams to like it. He hangs around it and bumps it with his nose to push it around, so he is amused. The tank is also still covered as he doesn't really like small spaces that aren't dark, so that way he isn't stressed. After the 10 days, I'll move him to a 1 gallon glass jar so I can put a plant and what not into it for entertainment purposes.

Overall I think he is taken being treated quite well all thing considered. He still gives me his wiggle dance when I check on him so thats good!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #19 
Luimeril

fin issues seem to freak people out. o.0 with Cup ripping his from over flaring all the time, then Dante tail biting, i learned to just shrug and change their water. xD i almost miss fin issues in bettas now that those two have passed. (*looks over at Ichi* don't you dare start biting your tail! it's just growing back! xD)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #20 
HarlequinBBRM

It was just concerning when he lost a whole chunk of his fin. He has nomed on himself before, so now when I see small tears and the like I just up water changes. I am now pretty sure that it was the earthquake on Tuesday that stressed him to the point of self-mutilation... again. I will now be going to school with a slightly ragged fish XD

Tags
dorsal fin, fin damage, fin problems, fin tearing, hole