Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #1 
Loralyn94

Exclamation Need help for a sick fish!!

I feel like I'm constantly posting on here asking for help, but new things keep happening that I have no idea what they are and dont know how to treat them, so once again here I am.
Within the last two days Ryu has developed a white/grey...thing starting from/above his gill. Originally I thought it was ick as it was a small round dot, but today it "grew" (?) and was longer and sticking straight up. I then thought it might be Columnaris.
Then tonight I notice he has a bulge on one of his sides and I have no idea what it is!

In the image, the red circle is where the bulge is and the purple one is where the white/grey things is.

Then my other question: Is that greenish coloring on his face normal?

Thanks for all your help!
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 
Loralyn94

Oops, forgot to post the answers to the sticky questions.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 78.8
Does your tank have a filter? yes; carbon filter part is out due to treating with maracyn 2
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? top fin freeze dried blood worms as a treat once a week, tetrabetta plus
How often do you feed your betta fish?blood worms, once weekly, pellet twice daily 2-3 pellets and the fast on saturday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator, last few days have been AQ, and today MAracyn 2

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/a
Nitrite:.2 ppm
Nitrate: 0-20ppm
pH:6.8
Hardness:75-150ppm
Alkalinity: 40-80

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bulge on side, and white.grey thing in/above gill
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday for white/grey thing, tonight for bulge
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, he's been in AQ for the past week or so because of fin rot and tail biting issues (using 1 tsp per gallon) and then tonight added maracyn 2 per package instructions
Does your fish have any history of being ill? suffered from fin rot and tail biting since i got him less than a month ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #3 
Kiiarah

Hey there, I am a bit new to bettas myself but just wanted to offer some thoughts while you are waiting for someone with a bit more experience to answer. My fish (also named Ryuu lol) has a similar looking bulge, but he has had it since I got him a couple of weeks ago. It has gone down slightly and I am still not sure what caused it, but I did happen to see a diagram of betta anatomy and the only thing in that part of the body is the swim bladder. It is possible for fish to get tumors, and I am not sure if there is a treatment for that, but my first guess for Ryu would be a slightly swollen swim bladder. My fish is also a blue-bodied variety and I find that any bulge on their body is pretty easy to see, so it is possible that it looks scarier than it really is. The thing that would worry me is the white fuzz. Unfortunately, the only disease I have experience treating is ich, and that seems to be something else. I do know that the first step in treating any illness is immaculate water. So if you haven't already, a water change will not hurt and it is likely to help a great deal. Your water temp and params are good, though 0 ppm nitrite would be ideal, it looks like you are in a safe range. Has Ryu been under any stress lately? His tank size, params, and care all look spot on. : /
Kiiarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #4 
Kiiarah

I forgot to mention that the green on his face is likely normal. The only color changes I know of that are signs of a problem are dark stripes on the body (which indicate the fish is stressed), suddenly paler color (which is also a sigh of illness and stress), and gold colored flecks all over the body. The gold flecks are actually a parasite and this condition is called velvet. Bettas are prone to this illness, but I would expect there to be gold dust all over the body, not just in one area like the face. To check for velvet, turn off the tank lights and shine a flashlight over his body. The parasite will show up as a gold sprinkling all over. Most bettas have an iridescent layer, which sounds like what you are describing. This is perfectly healthy and normal.

Here is a picture of my Ryuu, you can sort of see the shiny green coloration halfway down his body.

Last edited by Kiiarah; 08-15-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Kiiarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

The bulge your seeing is his swim bladder- It's perfectly normal. Some bettas just have more prominent ones. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Don't worry about asking for help. That's what we're here for.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulge, columnaris, ick, sick, urgent