Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #1 
Pitluvs

How do you deal with people?

So browsing through Facebook tonight, I remembered a little situation that came up between my friend and I long before I owned Bettas. Anyways, she was keeping her fish in these:

Her excuse is:
Quote:
I have 4 and these Lil set ups are 4 times larger that what they were in at the pet store. They were in sipping cups! They originate in very small, shallow murky puddles of rice patties in foreign countries.
And I jokingly said "I feel your fishes pain" to which she replied "Huh?" and then I said "I feel their pain, I live in an apartment not big enough for humans, like that drinking cup for fish"

*Facepalm* How do you even... uh... what... what do you do with these people?!? No space, heater, plant, hiding place nothing... and she's clearly living in a basement.

I'm tempted to ask her if they are even alive but after this she stopped talking to me.

Anyways I wanted to rant :( Cause no one else understands how cruel this is.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #2 
Vaughan06

I understand your frustration, but keep in mind how is she suppose to know?

I bought my first Betta while working in the Pet Section at Walmart. All I knew was 1) They come in small bowls. 2) I feed them twice a day.

That was ALL I knew. I had originally bought a 1/2 gallon tank, but before I even put the Betta in it my family had me buy a 2.5 gallon (my Betta is lucky he got started off well).

The sad reality is that people see these fish in cups looking healthy and I've even seen bubble nests, so they immediately think small tanks are fine.

Stores need to adopt a policy that has the CORRECT information posted for Bettas.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #3 
Jrf456

Eh.. It's a hard process, lol.

My bettas don't have heaters, I keep 'em stored for the winter, otherwise they'd fry in our weather!

But yeah.. These are rediculous. It makes me sick to think that people would actually do this to a living creature. How would they like it to be confined in something like this for their lives? I say it like this to these type of idiots.. Think of their bowls/tanks as their world. Other than water changes, they never leave this world. Picture living in an empty world, with a few pebbles on your floor, and that's it.

I will admit.. I'm sad I don't have the biggest tanks for mine.. They're all in varied 1.5-2 gallon vases, but I line them all with matching black pebbles, a few large shiny white rocks (I do these two to match the colors of my room, white walls and a black and white NYC theme) and they each have a cave to suit their personality, two fake plants (real ones always die for me :l) and live happily.

Another thing that bothers me are the people who think fish don't need good water changes, especially bettas.

I was originally told to do a 10% change EVERY MONTH for my first bowl, a 1.5 gallon vase. I now do 100% changes 2x a week, and a thorough inspection every day of their vases.

I've let my anger get the worst of me and cursed out a Petco worker who threw an alive tail-biter in the trash, just because he had a bitten up tail.

I've yelled at Walmart managers who didn't care their betta cups were YELLOW.

I've been to a fish farm that sells them in baby food jars and left a lovely note in their mailbox..

I definitely know how you feel.. If only everyone with the usual fish stereotypes could join this site and get some logic into their dull minds.

End of rant-post. :D
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #4 
Loralyn94

I feel your pain, I hate to see people do this to fish. Though I've seen and heard of worse. People putting them in pickle jars with nothing in them feeding them once a day how ever much they felt they needed and then only changing the water when it was too cloudy to see through or the smell was too much for them.

I dont see why or how people do this, its like you wouldnt think to let your dog life in a too small wire cage and not clean out his urine or feces until it was too gross to look at or smelled to badly.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

It is hard - some just don't care about how they are supposed to be kept. They're just pretty, moving decorations.

My neighbor ... I'm teaching her. Though she still insists that all she has to do is top off evap water and never actually change water. Nothing I say helps. I did get her to keep heaters in the tanks though...
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #6 
hmckin20

it's really difficult, since i'm a control freak anyway and i just want to grab fish out of people's hands and take them home and treat them right. but it is the stores for promoting ignorance of proper conditions, and treating betta like they're accessories you put on your desk and ignore.

when i got fitz, i knew ~nothing~ about bettas. i put him in a bowl, no heater or filter or plants or anything, and left his food in there a lot. but the store didn't tell me anything else about maintenance. he lost his color and died, and i already had pierce and my mom got me flair after fitz died and then flair lost all of his color under the same conditions, and that's when i decided to do research, boom, two ten gal tanks and one two gal tank later, happy fish and an informed owner. stores don't advocate proper betta treatment.

but aww, i feel for these little fish. they do not look happy. ):
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

See when I got my first Betta years ago (a female cambodian) I didn't have the internet like you do today. I got a 1g tank with a hood and light, few fake plants and a heater. She was a centerpiece in my home, but she was treated great. I even drove 5 hours one way to get the perfect food for her. I was clueless on Bettas. When I got Joey, he got the same set up and moved into my 29g cycled with Silver Dollars. Even when I recently got Venom, he was in a 1g and I knew to upgrade him before I even joined this site. I dunno, she was there for the first two Bettas. But what gets me is she KNOWS animals are my life, she knows my animals get the best I can afford. She knows my rats are taken care of, she ended up dumping hers on me. But what really gets me is she has the audacity to even think she knows more about them than me..... any animal really.

Quite upsetting. I wish I could take these fish here with me :( I think she left them behind with her ex anyways.. she never takes pets with her after a break up.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #8 
fightergirl2710

*Facepalm* I have no friends that keep fish but I have realised if other people tap on my tank glass or try to feed my fish, I go nuts and yell at them.. I think if I knew someone keeping fish this way, I'd be sarcastic till they get the picture or steal the fish or yell and take the fish by force (<not condoning this) -__-.. From sipping cups to water glasses.. Yay.
What you said makes complete sense Pitluvs! Its not what you know, it what makes sense. if someone told me to put a betta in a bowl before i knew about them, I'd still say no (and I did) because common sense doesn't permit me to do something like that! A fish needs space, you can SEE it and say that! X(

Last edited by fightergirl2710; 08-14-2011 at 06:28 PM.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #9 
nel3

my neighgor has a 2yr old VT 2 3/4 long with fins no conditioner (never was told about it until i said something).lives in a vase bit less than a .5g. fins arent good at all. dont ask me how it survived 2 years without conditioner. gh is probably 200ppm and kh 20 if there is no big discrepancy with the tap water.

water changes take a total of a minute, they include a toilet sink plugged and unplugged, a yogurt container and dumping the fish in the water w/o acclimation. she does change the water every 2 day do there is something half decent. i dont bother to correct her, wont do any changes. she thinks the fish is happy when he's struggling against the current when manhandled by the yogurt container and vase during WC. she's lost a few betta to the bathroom sink, didnt ask how many.

Last edited by nel3; 08-14-2011 at 08:49 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #10 
Draug Isilme

Oh god, those fish look like they're caught in no mans land and can't find their way out ;__;
I'm trying to teach one of my closest friends how to treat fish.. She has a female betta, and the bowl it's in is less than a gallon... Although, she's one of those types of people where if she doesn't really care or agree, then it's like talking to a brick wall. While I'm in the process of upgrading to a 5g, I told her she could have my 1.5g since I know it would be better for her fish than what it has now... Later on that day at the pet store while looking at fish, one of the first things that comes out of her mouth when we start leaving the isle is "I'm gonna get more fish!" I tried telling her that the tank isn't gonna be big enough, and her reply was "Well, you're giving me that other tank, right?" *sigh* I swear... I spent about 30 minutes beforehand explaining how it's best to follow the inch-per'gallon rule at minimum and alllll kinds of other stuff about fish, and this is her reply... -.- Pet stores really do need to start displaying their fish in the manner that they should.... Gives other people bad ideas, thinking it's okay to have bettas in small cups, or about over 50 goldfish to a 10g tank... but hey, a good lot of people only want animals because they're pretty or cool looking without the slightest notion of responsibility... Why? Usually because they're animals and apparently us as humans are of a different species... which I find very hard to believe with the way most people act now-or-days...

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-16-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: language
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote