Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

plant suggestions

Can someone suggest some easy foreground plants?I have plenty of tall stem plants...I started with a few sprigs and now am trimming weekly! However,I feel my tank is unbalanced and I would like some foreground low maintenance plants. My tank is pretty much a no tech tank...
10 gallon,one 15watt 8500K aqueon light, weekly water column ferts.No Co2. gravel and some parts are sand for my corydoras.
I haven't been able to think of anything besides moss...which I already have.
Here is my tank:

Also, any suggestions on how I should move things around so it looks less cluttery and more aquascaped would be nice.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Some large rocks could help, but if you don't want to go that route, I would recommend adding some more pots with moss on top of them. Different sizes and different angles. Driftwood or coconut would also work. Another tip I read is to have less gravel in the front and more in the back. It helps give the tank depth.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #3 
dragonflie

All I'm going to say is I'm jealous. Only plant I have is a moss ball. I've killed everything else that is green.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #4 
kumi

Anubius nana 'Petite'. I don't have any, but it only grows to about 2 inches (according to what I have read!).

It looks like there is a stone in the back left. You could move it forward and some of the tall stem plants back to fill that space.

I have also read that you might eventually need to root the cuttings and toss the older stems--just if they start looking straggly.

Looks good!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Crypt Parva might work. Your gravel is fairly large however, and so there's a possibility it won't root properly.

You could wrap riccia around some smooth stones using a hair net and that can look good, but it does require a bit of maintenance to stop it coming loose and going everywhere.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflie View Post
All I'm going to say is I'm jealous. Only plant I have is a moss ball. I've killed everything else that is green.
Thankyou. You should try anubias and rotala
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...us&spec=Rotala
Rotala is supposed to only grow in high lights, but my tank only has 15 watts and it is growing well with just water column ferts..I have to trim it weekly/every other week.It doesn't seem to get as red in low light, but it is still really pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Some large rocks could help, but if you don't want to go that route, I would recommend adding some more pots with moss on top of them. Different sizes and different angles. Driftwood or coconut would also work. Another tip I read is to have less gravel in the front and more in the back. It helps give the tank depth.
That is a good idea! I might push the gravel up in the back and leave the middle front area where it's not so planted sand for the corydoras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumi View Post
Anubius nana 'Petite'. I don't have any, but it only grows to about 2 inches (according to what I have read!).

It looks like there is a stone in the back left. You could move it forward and some of the tall stem plants back to fill that space.

I have also read that you might eventually need to root the cuttings and toss the older stems--just if they start looking straggly.

Looks good!

Kumi
I will have to look into buying petite anubias online...I doubt i'll be able to find it locally.In the back left is my coconut cave. My fish really loves that cave. I may move it forward a little though so I can fill that gap.

You all have great ideas! Thanks so much!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote