Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #1 
hmckin20

Help with Rescue?

So I caved in and bought a little fish that I've seen sitting in the same place for a month now. He's pretty neglected, not really showing symptoms of any diseases, just tired and skinny. I suspect he hasn't been eating for a while. I put him in some pristine water with some AQ Salts and some stress coat, along with a heater and some other things you can see in the pictures. He swims around surprisingly well, but it's no doubt that he doesn't feel like it.

I'd love some advice from some of you who have rescued before.
Does he look like he has any diseases? Any I'm maybe not familiar with? Should I do anything else for the critter?

Housing

What size is your tank? He's in a quarantine tank right now, I'm not certain of actual amount of water.
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? He hasn't eaten anything yet, but I have flakes, pellets, and bloodworms nearby.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Hasn't eaten yet.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I'll probably do a 50% tomorrow unless someone recommends a 100% change.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No change, he looks like he's been through it.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He can swim well enough but he's definitely lethargic.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I just bought him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't treated him with anything.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, but of being neglected.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Uncertain.

(Also, I named him Soldier. He's been living a month like this, so he's gotta be pretty tough.)

Last edited by hmckin20; 08-23-2011 at 09:39 PM.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #2 
Silverfang

oh the poor boy! he looks so scrawny :( Just try to get him to eat, offer him a pellet every few hours, normally I suggest once a day but he looks so painfully hungry :( Other than that clean warm water is all I Can suggest.
Oh and as tempted as it is to feed him till he's happy, start slow, just one pellet, and offer another in a few hours. Small meals spaced out during the day will do more for him.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #3 
hmckin20

i know, poor guy looks starved. :c and he tries to eat, or he'll take the food in his mouth, but he usually spits it right back out. i tried feeding him flakes and bloodworms too but same thing.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #4 
Sakura8

He looks so tired and worn out, poor little guy. I'm so glad you gave him a good and loving home. Did you just get him today? It might take him a day to feel like eating. You can try soaking his pellets in garlic juice or in juice from thawed frozen bloodworms. Garlic especially entices the appetite. If his food seems too big for him, you can crush it up.

I hope he perks up and eats soon, he looks like he could use some good grub. Good luck with him and I'll be thinking of the two of you.

Oh, and maybe do at least 75% water change tomorrow? I think perhaps 100% might be too much since he'd have to be removed from the tank for that. If you can, depending on the tank, take out as much as possible while leaving enough for him to stay in. And to make the water changes with salts easier, it helps to premix the salt water. If you happen to have a big 1 gallon jug, like the kind that bottled spring water comes in, mix up 1 gallon of dechlorinated water and 1 tsp of aquarium salts. When it comes time to do the water change, you won't have to try and figure out how much you took out and how much salt to replace. You can just pour the water in.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 AM   #5 
hmckin20

ohman, thanks for all of that advice. i'll crush some munchies up tomorrow for him and soak it in some garlic juice :D i hope that'll help him eat. yeah, i just got him today, he's chilling in this (i want to say plastic) tank with a preheater. 75% sounds good, I could definitely do that, as well as the salts.

thank you for the luck and for thinking of us c: it means all the world. this little guy will need all the luck (and tlc) he can get if he makes it through.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

Poor guy :(

maybe if you added a coffee cup or something to hide in it would make him feel better?? if he was in a cup, his ammonia level may of been a bit high. Every one I have gotten from petco has been between 2-4.0 for ammonia
The higher it was, the longer it took for the fish to start acting normal. He may just need some time to adjust.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #7 
hmckin20

hehehe, okay. i added a coffee cup.. took Hippie's since he never goes near it. his ammonia level was probably high, it was an icky cup that didn't look like it'd been changed in a while D:

also waiting for madre to come back with garlic juice!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Good luck with the little guy! I'll definitely be thinking of him with fingers crossed.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #9 
hmckin20

okay, question:
where do i get garlic juice? o3o

or how do i make it?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #10 
Sakura8

You can get a bulb of garlic and crush one of the cloves. Put some of the crushed garlic into some tank water and mix it a bit. Voila, garlic juice. :)