Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #1 
caitic10

Tank Makeover!

Spoof is by far my favorite of my trio, and I only want the best for him. Its not that I dont love and want the best for my other two, its just....he's special. :)

Anyways, he lives in a dull 5 gallon tank with black gravel, a cave and a moss ball.

I would love for him to have a natural looking tank, with natural gravel, natural decorations and live plants.

The tank has no lights, so I would need plants that can survive in low light.

What plants can I keep in his tank? Any plant care tips are welcome! :)
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #2 
Krys

Well you can try those betta bulbs. although sometimes they don't even grow. :/
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:38 AM   #3 
PewPewPew

Java fern, java moss and anubias would fare well. In combination with some silk plants that look natural, you'd have a good looking tank :)

Try these, they look really nice and very natural not only by themselves, but doubly so with plants (live):

http://www.petco.com/product/110468/...ium-Plant.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/109221/...ium-Plant.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/111885/...ium-Plant.aspx

I own these :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #4 
kathstew

Anubias is by far my favourite aquatic plant. I love it, it looks so pretty!
You should definitely get it! LOL
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #5 
caitic10

I will look into getting Anubias! Thanks! How much do they usually cost?

How do you care for them? Ive never kept a live plant (well, if you count a moss ball as a plant) alive for very long.

I was thinking about adding some driftwood to my tank. Just a small pice. My lfs has some really nice driftwood. Or would the drift woukd make it too crowded?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #6 
kathstew

As long as you got a small piece of driftwood I don't think it would look to crowded. I would get driftwood for my tank, but its crazy expensive around here for some reason :/
I have LED lights in my tank, so I don't know if its gonna be different for you, but I don't even do anything for my anubias and it grows beautifully on its own. I think I got mine for $5.00(?) from Big Als. You don't bury them, you can tie them to decor, like the driftwood, and the roots will grow onto the wood. I believe you can use fertilizer for them as well.

Pewpewpew made an amazing plant guide (its pretty much the aquatic plant bible LOL). http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428 It has lots of info on all sorts of different plants.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

B'awww >/./>

If you have a petsmart around you, they come in the TopFin Tubes for anywhere from $5-8 (for the larger ones). As Kath said, theyre pretty easy :D

They can float, too- they look really nice that way. Great place for a sleepy betta. OR, take a rock, just...a rock (lol!) and tie the anubias to it with string and bury the ROCK and not the rhizome (hard root) and it'll be fine! :D

As for the wood, some LFS will cut the wood for you in-store! A few around here will. Ask if they will for you.

As a reminder: The wood often sold in the reptile/terrarium sections arent safe for fish tanks most of the time! Ask the LFS manager about them, if they seem knowledgeable. Good wood is hardwoods like mopani and Malaysian driftwoods!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:46 AM   #8 
Banicks

PewPewPew is the Betta knowledge goddess around here! Reading on so many post by so many people, and she is definitely the one to include in any topic :)

I have Anubias - my fish guy told me it will need a light or at least sunlight. Thus far it doesn't appear to have degraded from the aquarium it was in, into my tank where it currently doesn't have a light or direct sunlight.

It's currently grown into a nice pice of driftwood, the diftwood has holes and what not, but I think they're too small for Victor at the moment. Either that or he doesn't like dark places hehe.

I will probably add a half ceramic pot soon for a larger cave. But one thing I've noticed is that I always catch him lazing about on it's leaves - guess its nice and comfy for him :D
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #9 
caitic10

The lfs I was refering to was a Big Al's! My Petsmart doesn't carry much live plants and what plants they do carrry are half dead. But thank you!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #10 
caitic10

For the driftwood, do I have to presoake it before adding it to the tank?

How many live plants could I add?

Another question, Ive heard that the less water changes the better for the plants...Is this true? And if so, should I lower my number of water changes?