Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #1 
tfranc

Please help bubbles!!!

Hi please help my bubbles!!! I don't know what to do, he began developing a bump on one side and that bump turned into an enourmous piece of like white fish meat coming out of his skin... He acts completely normal, eats like a pig, flares at his neighbors and overall has fun, but that thing looks so nasty and I think it might be starting to have blood or something, Its not contagious since he lives with 3 other bettas in a divided 20gal, and they are very healthy. I have a a 30gal filter, no need for heater at the moment since its very warm here, and they eat shrimp and their little fish pellets. I will post pictures as soon as I get on my computer... I can't really add photos on an iPad... If you know of something to help my bubbles, please tell me! Thank you!
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Google lymphocystis and see if the pics match up. If that is what's wrong with Bubbles, then there is nothing you can do because it's a viral infection. It should clear up on its own within a few months.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #3 
tfranc

One of the pictures looks like it, but it's been over 2months and that thing gets bigger, not smaller... Like I said it has not gone to any of my other boys... It looks like a piece of cooked fish meat coming out of his side, and I feel horrible for him... But he seems happy not lethargic
Old 08-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Okay. I know it can take a while for lymphocystis to clear up but the fact that he has been sharing his tank with the others and they haven't gotten it seems to imply he has something else. The only other thing I can think of is, sadly, a tumor. If that is the case, the only thing you can do is make him comfortable and ensure that his quality of life is good. If you can post a pic when you are not on your iPad, that would help a lot.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #5 
audjree

from wikipedia:
Lymphocystis is a common viral disease of freshwater and saltwater fish.

Aquarists often come across this virus when their fish are stressed such as when put into a new environment and the virus is able to grow.

The fish starts growing small white pin-prick like growths on their fins or skin and this is often mistaken for Ich/Ick (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) in the early stages. It soon clumps together to form a cauliflower-like growth on the skin, fins, and occasional gills.

There is no known treatment for this virus, though some aquarists recommend surgery to remove the affected area if it is very serious.

Eventually the growths inhibit the fish's ability to swim, breathe or eat, and secondary bacterial infections usually kills the fish.

Usually the best cure is to simply give the fish a stress free life, a weekly bacteria treatment and the virus will slowly subside and the fins will repair themselves. This can take many months.

i'm no expert on these things, but i just wanted to give you this info to help a little.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Thanks, audjree. On its own, lymphocystis has a close to 100% cure rate. It's the secondary bacterial infections and the location of the growths that determine what happens, as wikipedia states. If the growths are on the head, that is when lymphocystis can become fatal. Since the growths are on Bubbles' side, that is a plus. Keeping the water as clean as possible (daily or every other day water changes) and feeding a good quality, varied, high protein diet will help greatly to prevent secondary infection if Bubbles does indeed have lymphocystis. If he does, perhaps the others did not catch it because they have a higher immune to it. Is there any reason why Bubbles might be stressed so that his immune system was compromised?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #7 
tfranc

Thank you so much for your help! When I got bubbles he was pretty much white and so stressed in the tiny cup that he barely reacted to anything... I bought him and qt'd him and gave him a good home, he started getting his color back and the one spot that got his color first is where that thing is growing now... He obtained beautiful colors and now is a very lively fish but I guess he was so low on any defenses that it possibly made him prone to getting whatever he got. I will try to post a picture soon... Thank you guys once again