Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #1 
sunrise2397

Angry wow walmart is soo stupid

so i was at my walmart the other day and, of course, i was looking at the bettas. you know how in the little cups they put bettas in have holes on the top? well the employees didnt even bother to punch of those holes. god i swear there so lazy its really annoying. but i mean poor bettas, maybe im wrong, but sooner or later aren't they gonna suffocate?
sunrise2397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 AM   #2 
tsoto80

yes they would. My Walmart stacks the cup one on top of the other so I usually rearrange it myself so they all can get air. I also put the dead ones front row center thinking it would humiliate them....doubt it works though
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:57 AM   #3 
Kiiarah

Yes they will eventually suffocate. My walmart has the cups that the bettas ship in that are pre-labeled and hole-punched, but they constantly stack them on top of each other. I have also found males on the same side of the divider chasing each other and bettas in tanks with fish like mollies and platy fish that are flaring and fighting with them. The bottom line is really that Walmart couldn't care less about their fish, but they do still care a bit about their image when it comes to customer satisfaction.

I have a couple of suggestions. One would be to immediately and in person contact a manager and explain what needs to be done (air holes need to be added to all cups) and make sure they know how important it is. Do be careful not to come across as a fish fanatic, take what they will consider to be a rational business perspective because it is what they understand and listen to. Explain that they will be losing money on dead stock when the fish suffocate and that the impression it gives shoppers seeing so many dead fish is negative. Explain that you are a hobbyist fish-keeper and that you would not buy fish that were kept in that fashion, and that you doubt others with any knowledge of fish-keeping would buy from them. Do not trust the employees to "tell a manager" because they won't. See the manager yourself, walk them back to the department, and wait with them until they start correcting it if at all possible. I had to do this recently at my Wal-mart. The manager was, fortunately, as shocked as I was by the conditions and had a lovely chat with me while she tended to the fish. Hopefully your Wal-mart will be as cooperative. Another thing I have started doing is going to Wal-mart deliberately when I am nearby just to check up on them. I always re-stack the cups so the air-holes are open, separate any males that are flaring excessively, and notify staff of any other problems I notice. I figure, I have limited space but I always have time to make sure things are in order there. If it gets bad enough, or they refuse to correct care issues, contact your local animal control. Depending on the circumstances, they may be willing to investigate. Make sure to snap some photos on your cell before leaving the store. ;) Good luck and it is awesome that you care enough to take notice. :)
Kiiarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:35 AM   #4 
TheCheese909

I was there just tonight. They only had 4 tonight. I always stop by to check on their bettas because at this WalMart in particular people like to dump the males together and let them fight.

One of the ones they had tonight had ick. Its almost impossible to get an employee to come over and help with the fish (the last time it took close to 40 minutes!) so I just grabbed a bottle of Jungle Ick treatment and put a drop in there.

I always feel so bad for their fishes. Their employees are not trained at all on how to handle fish. I go there all the time with my friend (FishehGoBloop), who has bought a small handful of fish from there. The second to last time she bought fish some lady from Home Improvement section was sent over to get a Plecostomus for her and the woman ended up breaking the poor fish's back while chasing it around the tank. :\
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #5 
sunrise2397

boy i havent been on here in a while, kiiarah good idea i think ill have to do that tsoto well i think its always worth a try and thecheese don't they ever like catch you and get mad at you when you put the jungle ick treatment?
sunrise2397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #6 
Socal finest

they dont care the only thing they care about is getting high and checking out the lady because they cant collect G.R.
Socal finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

My store changed thier cups. they are taller but there is only a tiny slit in the cover
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #8 
beagle

I am glad all the walmarts in my area stopped selling fish altogether.
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #9 
TheCheese909

I emailed WalMart about the one store in my area and the way they were treating their fish altogether. It seemed as though they were only cleaning the tanks once every other week, and that included taking the dead ones out.

So I emailed them about a week and a half ago and told them as much as i possibly could. I used up all of the characters allowed, i think there were about 1800 or so, possibly more (i don't recall) and today i got a phone call from the manager at that store. She told me they trained two new associates on how to handle and care for the fish and how they were going to take better care of them. Exc exc. I'm going to be going there tomorrow to do some shopping so i'm gonna check the fish out and see if there actually is any difference.

If things get better then awesome. Even if it doesn't last forever, if things get bad again then I can email them back once more.

Oh, and @Sunrise, no. They don't seem to care what so ever. There was a child who had his arm inside with the goldfish trying to CATCH ONE WITH HIS HAND and there was a worker in the same isle putting dog food up. She didn't say anything to the child, I had to do it. They just don't care.

Last edited by TheCheese909; 08-22-2011 at 11:24 PM.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #10 
LittleBettas

Just got back from walmart, two dead bettas, one CT one VT, the VT was just a skeleton :(
Half of the bettas were floating on their side, sadly, I had to choose ONE, though my little sis got one that had been their awhile and her friend got one that was all clamped up but healthy otherwise, my new guy has SBD and fin rot :(
only about 10 bettas, all stacked up, I unstacked them and organized them so they were easier to see (also cleaned some of the cups out)
I have just about given up on my walmart, the employees dont care, the manager alway says he wil send one over later... and from what I can tell, he doesnt, half of the betta cup holes are clogged with dust :(
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote