Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Hester Has Parasites

Alrighty, more issues with parasites. It's Hester this time so I need to find a way to get her bloating down very quickly.

Housing
What size is your tank? Split .5 gal long hospital tank
What temperature is your tank? Should be staying at around 76-78*
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Divided with another female for quarantine

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin Betta Bits and Hikari Krill
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily (fasting 1 day and as needed)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% (Tank is too small for a cup so we can't change all of it at once)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquasafe Water Conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Very bloated, white poop
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Having trouble staying at the top if she has gone down, lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 2 tsp/gal epsom salt and general cure
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Other than back deformity, no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Should be over a year old, but we've only had her for a few months

The reason why this needs to get resolved very quickly is because her back already puts a lot of pressure on her stomach and her bloating has increased despite of the epsom salt and general cure.

The pic is from sunday night before the issue, her back is normally like that. I'm going to get a picture of her from the top right now, but I wanted this to get as much attention in the mean time. If needs be I can find a way to get Sabino out of the other half if any more extensive medication is needed.
Attached Images

Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Side view of her as of a few minutes ago.
Name:  005 (11).jpg
Views: 72
Size:  38.4 KB

Over view (She's swelled significantly more from last night).
Name:  003 (16).jpg
Views: 71
Size:  52.2 KB

As for her fins, that was from her being a jerk in the sorority and then getting too tired to defend herself once she started something.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

I did a 75% water change just a bit ago (Changed half, refilled, changed a quarter, and then refilled again) and got as much poop out as I could using an airline tube.

Hester has shown no improvement and is having a bit more difficulty swimming and breathing a bit more heavily. We have not fed her today simply because of how large her abdomen is getting. Her scales are not pine coning yet, but if she doesn't stop swelling I think they soon will.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We really need to get the swelling down as soon as possible.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

We seriously need help with Hester. She can't wait much longer for this problem. She's still on General Cure and will be redosed with epsom salt a little later tonight.

I will be going out to find some clove oil tomorrow. I really don't want to euthanize her if she isn't ready, but if she's going to be in pain and possibly start to dropsy then I have no choice. Please help before it gets to that point, she is still very bloated.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Hester has started to mildly pine cone. I'm going to put her down tomorrow if she doesn't show any improvement with the medication and epsom salt.

Sabino has been cupped and moved to the sorority so Hester can have full run of the hospital tank.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

All i can tell you is what is on the sticky

Quote:
Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

I unfortunately cannot get my hands on any maracyn 2 and she is not eating. She has started to pine cone as well. 2 tsp/gal of epsom salt on the first night of parasites did not help prevent any bloating and did not stimulate her system into pooping.

I redosed the general cure and epsom salt as well as doing a 100% water change and lowered the water level. I'm giving her until my sister gets home from school before making a decision.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Pataflafla, I'm so sorry to hear about Hester. I know it's a long shot but go ahead and bump it up to 3 tsp of epsom salt. If you can, I'd definitely recommend ordering some Maracyn 2 from Foster and Smith Aquatics to keep on hand for emergencies. It really sucks that no store around you sells it. If you can't find Maracyn-2, can you find E.M. Erythromycin?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

The Petsmart out here had maracyn 2 but they're sold out now. They only keep one package at a time. I'm a little hesitant to administer the eurythromycin medication because I'm allergic to it.I'll see if my sister can pick some up on her way home though.

I'll bump the epsom salt up right now and hope for the best. I just have a sinking feeling that one of her organs has burst. Swelling is continuing despite the epsom salt.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #10 
Sakura8

:( I'm really sorry to hear she's that bad. Poor Hester. And yes, if you're allergic to the erythromycin, don't administer it, I wouldn't want you to have a horrible allergic reaction. That would be very bad. You could try tetracycline or Triple Sulfa then. I hope things improve but I know you'll do the right thing if she looks like she's suffering. Good luck and I'm thinking of you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote