Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #1 
Arowan

Betta Suddenly went blind?

One of the bettas in my sorority has been behaving oddly the last couple days. I noticed it the night before, because it was taking her an exceptionally long time to notice that it was "feeding time," when she's usually one of the first to arrive.

Additionally, she wasn't finding the pellets--another odd sign, she's usually the one to find the most of them. I'd even drop food right in front of her nose, and her eyes, and she would still not notice them.

This repeated for a second day, so last night I temporarily put her in her betta cup until she ate her pellets. It took over 20 minutes, knowing she hadn't eaten the day before, before she finally "found" all the pellets. They had sunk to the bottom of the cup, and she'd only find them after bumping them with her mouth. And even then she sometimes missed. I adjusted the lighting periodically throughout her "feeding" to see if that helped her any, but noticed no difference in response.

This morning I've been watching her "nosing" her way through the sorority tank, mostly at the top, as if she is "feeling" her way around. She's particularly "bumpy" to the sides of the tank and the large ornamental tree root in the center of the tank--fixtures that have been constant in the two months I have now owned her.

I tried shining some lights in her eyes, and the light reflected back did seem rather cloudy, so maybe she developed some cataracts. Her eyes have always been a dark black, which makes it hard to see inside them. She still seems to be moving her eyes, but I'm really starting to suspect that she can't see anything at all.

Again, this behavior has only been obviously occurring for the last two days. She's always had two odd-colored "bumps" at the top of her head, if that sounds like the possibility of a tumor. If necessary, I can try to photograph this section later in the day, as the lighting gets a bit better.
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #2 
fightergirl2710

Its also possible she could have a bacterial infection.. One of my guys was having the same symptoms, I thought it was age but then I was medicating him for parasites and it helped his eyesight too. He can see much better now. :) Maybe you can try feeding her some medicated pellets which have metronidazole, it might help. You can give it a shot. Hopefully it'll work and its not a tumor. :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #3 
Arowan

Sounds good, I'll pick up some medicated pellets today, then.

Should I treat all the sorority girls with them, or just the one?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #4 
fightergirl2710

Cool, keep us posted.. :>
Old 08-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #5 
Arowan

Will try.

Kinda perfect timing on this, since I'm moving back to my dorm friday morning >_<
Old 08-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arowan View Post
Sounds good, I'll pick up some medicated pellets today, then.

Should I treat all the sorority girls with them, or just the one?
I'm not sure but I think just her for now.. Are others showing symptoms as well? Maybe someone else can clarify.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #7 
Arowan

Just her, for now. No other odd symptoms from any of the other fish in the tank (cories, otos, and the other females)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #8 
Arowan

Tried 3 different local petstores, none of which carry medicated fish pellets.

Returned home to find that her symptoms have worsened. She is now having real difficulty swimming, mainly being stuck sideways, and is twisting around rapidly. I have isolated her for now, adding some maracyn... *only medication I have right now--Going to petco again tomorrow, can add more then.* If she survives the night anyway.

Starting to suspect it's a brain tumor. Very depressed if that's the case, she's my favorite of the sorority.

*Edit: I'm watching her swim rapidly in circles around her small quarantine tank, constantly corkscrewing in spirals. I've never seen this before, and it's kind of freaky.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #9 
Arowan

Going to be impossible for me to photograph the possible tumors, as she is pretty much constantly twisting everywhere.

I'm familiar with brain tumors in mammals, but not so much in fish. However, from the rapid degeneration in her condition, and the odd behaviors, her symptoms do seem consistent with those of mammals...

I'd really like some help on this.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #10 
Arowan

She's literally rolling around like a little tornado, while swimming in circles.

Been doing this now for hours, periodically stopping when she runs out of energy.