Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #1 
BETTA DET

Freeze dried Bloodworms?

I gave my betta some freeze dried bloodworms, and he really seemed to enjoy them, but also seemed to have a hard time swallowing them. Still in his petco cup until, new heater brings water temp back up. He would look as if he was chewing them and then spit them back out, and eat them again.

So my question is, do you soak the bloodworms (freeze dried) for a little before you feed them to your betta, or does anyone crunch them up into smaller pieces to make it easier?

After a little while he did get them down, but when I get him into the tank Im worried he wont get them in time.
BETTA DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #2 
TexasCichlid

Freeze dried bloodworms tend to gives fish constipation as they re-hydrate in the gut. They are also relatively nutrient poor. This goes for all freeze dried aquarium products. I would recommend frozen bloodworms if you want to mix up the diet some.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #3 
SmokeNLark

I would cut up the worms into smaller pieces.

TexasCichlid is right, but I feel that it's a fine treat once in a while. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

They're fine for a once or twice a week treat but aren't good used as a staple diet.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I haven't been able to find anywhere online that claims freeze dried bloodworms lack more nutrient then frozen bloodworms.
Infact I have read the opposite about freeze dried foods...
http://www.shelfreliance.com/c/unive...t-freeze-dried
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5993868_nu...ing-foods.html
I am not an "expert", though...

However, I have personally had issues with freeze dried bloodworms making my one betta constipated...because they are lacking moisture, I believe they will expand in the belly and cause constipation on sensitive fish.If you can get frozen bloodworms, those would be better...plus it's fun to watch the bettas chase the worm.. I have tweezers I use to feed them. A variety of foods are best to feed in my opinion...
I feed a good quality pellet formula (new life spectrum), frozen bloodworms,and brine shrimp on rotation..not all at once.
If you live somewhere where there are mosquitoes you can also feed mosquito larvae...I personally haven't tried the mosquito larvae on my fish yet though.

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 08-07-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

I've read what Littlebitty has mentioned too and personally, I'vehad no issues with freeze dried. With nothing but these and live worms available to me, my bettas get them regularly and I've never had issues with bloating or constipation.. But then maybe that's an area thing. These guys must have been fed these all their lives so they don't get sick, other bettas might. :/
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #7 
beagle

I used freeze dried bloodworms for years in my community tank then one day I started to suffer ichy eyes and throat. Took about another year to figure out it was the bloodworms causing the allergic reaction and have since found out this is not uncommon. So the freeze dried bloodworms may not be good for you or your Betta.
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Our Bettas are fed freeze dried only at the pet stores, and the ones that are there any amount of time end up with severe SBD. Personally, after seeing the effects long term at the pet store, I won't feed them. But we have other options to so it's easier. When my guys get them as treats, it takes them a while to chew them though.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

I have tried at different times feeding freeze dried foods (bloodworms & brine shrimp) as a treat and INVARIABLY somebody gets bloated!!! Grrrrrr.............

So no more here!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I rehydrate my freeze dried food before feeding them to my fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote