Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #1 
fungambler

Betta at bottom & can no longer swim-euthanize or not?

First of all, OFL has been a TREMENDOUS help in answering my many private messages. She has encouraged me to "do what is right" by the fish. 2 1/2 gal tank 78-80 temp. Water lowered to about a gallon so he can reach his food. Water changes twice a week with epsom salts. Feeding only pellets as that's all he can or will eat. He got a little tumor on his side about a month and a half ago. It keeps him at the bottom of his tank at all times. His front little fins work but he can not use his tail. So he sits at the bottom of the tank in a corner or lays up against it on his side. He has not been able to swim in at least a month or more. He can reach his food in the morning and THAT is my dilemma. He still eats and he responds to my voice. But it is breaking my heart seeing him like this. He is a fish and he can not swim. Should I prolong his life as long as he eats? Has anyone out there ever gone through this?
fungambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Does he still act like he did before this problem? My sister's got one with a tumor on his head that we're waiting on, but he's still active and eating.

I would suggest you do what feels right for both you and your betta. If you feel he's got no quality of life left, then I think it's completely your call.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #3 
fungambler

No, his tumor made him stop swimming. I don't know if his heater caused the tumor or not. He was hanging around it and up against it for a good while and then this happened.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #4 
freeflow246

I would hang in there for another week or so and see if he acts any differently. If he's acting sick, I'd say that it's probably best to euthanize him; as is doesn't sound like he's going to recover. If he's acting normally, then really it's just your call. It sounds like that tumor handicaps him quite a bit.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #5 
fungambler

That's kinda what I was thinking. He seems to be ok just resting on the bottom. He has been eating almost every day, though he does have a bad day or two once in a while. Guess we'll just keep rocking on!