Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #1 
tf1265

Betta jumping over divider?!

I have 2 female bettas in a 5 gallon tank divided. The divider is clear mesh, so they can see each other, They have plenty of plants and hiding spaces, so they mostly keep to themselves but occasionally will "battle" through the mesh - it seems to keep them active and healthy.

This morning I came into my office to find both of them on the same side of the divider! No damage was done, but they are bettas and they were both pretty stressed out.

I moved one back to her side of the tank, and immediately checked the divider for gaps or holes. There are none, it is sealed tight from top to bottom and there are no holes (other than the tiny ones creating the mesh) in the divider that she could have slipped through.

I know bettas jump, but can their jumping be that precise, to actually jump OVER a divider? It comes up 1/2-1 inch above the water level. I've not seen either of them jump before, but it's an office tank so I'm only here during the day.

THanks!
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #2 
Neil D

My betta Josh has done that twice. For some reason he won't fight with the other guy on the other side (thank god!!)

I now have saran wrap over the tank, to prevent it.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I "T" the top of the divider with another piece of mesh..That way it sort of resembles a "T". Then there's no way to jump over into the other section.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #4 
Goomba3

I had Cheep-Cheep jump over the divider into Edwin's side once. I was feeding them, and was holding my finger over the pellet so he could find it. Well he backed down a little bit, and then launched himself at my finger and over the divider! Both of the looked a little confused, and kind of just sat there, looking at each other, a few inches apart. I pulled the top off real quick and scooped Cheep-Cheep out. But I was always really careful after that. Scared the crap out of me!
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #5 
hmckin20

oh jeez, that's scary.. i make the divider a little high and pull the water level down a few inches even though i've never had any of my bettas to jump (knock on wood) but if neither of those things work, any of the above suggestions are good ideas (:
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #6 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomba3 View Post
I had Cheep-Cheep jump over the divider into Edwin's side once. I was feeding them, and was holding my finger over the pellet so he could find it. Well he backed down a little bit, and then launched himself at my finger and over the divider! Both of the looked a little confused, and kind of just sat there, looking at each other, a few inches apart. I pulled the top off real quick and scooped Cheep-Cheep out. But I was always really careful after that. Scared the crap out of me!

That happened to me!! They didn't even fight. I mean Max was ignoring Josh, and Josh was flaring a bit on the other side of Max's side. O.O
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #7 
Abby

Louie tore Charz to its
Benny tore ced to bits
Barney tore won won to bits.

all have jumped dividers, my waters now lower and i have plastic crate over the bays then glass tank lid
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #8 
tf1265

Wow! Mine are females, so I feel like they're slightly less likely to be aggressively launching themselves. I tee-ed the divider anyway- I had a smaller piece left over from the original cut and I taped it over the top of the divider. Now if either of them want to jump, they'll have to launch themselves up 1 1/2 inches and over at least 4. If they can do THAT, I'll get them separate tanks because they will have earned it, I think. :)
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #9 
KristinM

A few days ago my one male tried to jump and missed...I wasn't at home to help him and I came home to a devastating scene finding him dead on the counter. My older male didnt pay him much attention which made him more irate and in his state to flare (even though there were many plants and the water level was low) he had jumped out. My canopy has been ordered and is due to arrive this weekend so I was devastated. I have now covered the other one up temporarily in case to avoid this happening again.

I think because the plants were now blocking his view and he knew his competitor was close by it made him even more anxious. My 3 females however all live together in a sorority and there are no problems.

I have read that they can jump 2 inches or more.
KristinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #10 
SnowySurface

I lost Sparkle the same way. I was still on campus and I had a divided tank. I didn't know bettas could jump so my divider was only 1/2 inch above the water. I don't know how, but Sparkle still missed the other side of the tank and fell to the floor. I came back from class to find only one fish still swimming. Once I read up on how well bettas jump and how they will try to go under a divider as well, I stopped using divided tanks.

It doesn't surprise me that tf1265's fish cleared a 1 1/2 hieght divider. Bettas are really good jumpiers. I didn't know about making a T shaped divider back then and I'm used to separate tanks now. So, I just don't bother. But, if your fish do keep jumping, T-ing would be the way to go. :)

But I am curious why you have females separated instead of in a sorority. Only the males have to be kept away from each other. Females can co-exist in small groups. But, that's as much as I know about sorority. I like male bettas too much to switch to female bettas. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, jump