Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #1 
NCPanthersgurl

Aquabid girlies; pics and quick sorority question.

I got my girls today from Chard56. They're beautiful <3 I have only named the black, Midna, because I expected her long before I picked the other girlies.

My only concern is the size difference between Midna and all the others. She's easy 4 times the size of a couple of them. Is that an issue for a sorority tank?

Anywayyyy pics!
Attached Images

NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Cute girls. I am a huge fan of lighter-coloured females. I wish they were more popular here.

Having a successful sorority isn't really based on the size of your females, but rather their individual personalities. If they're younger, they shouldn't fight so aggressively, and it's a much easier process getting them accustomed to each other.

As long as your tank provides lots of places to get away, they should be fine. I always joke that there's no fighting in mine because everyone is too busy untangling themselves from the riccia.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #3 
NCPanthersgurl

My Mystique is really light, though that may be because she's pretty young. Two of the new girls are right about her size, one is a bit bigger. One is quite a bit bigger, but not enough that I was too worried about it. Midna is huge though. I fell in love with her and that's why I originally ordered from Chard; I was looking for females and saw her. So I might be okay. She flares up at the other girls more than the others do...but that might end okay.

Oh, this is my tank setup. :)
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

You will probably need more plants to avoid fights.

Definitely have something floating at the surface as this will be where the more submissive females get harassed when they go up for air. I'd focus my plantings around the log more to create a central mass of plants and hiding places they can all hide in.

At the moment nothing is there to hinder any chasing. I have my tank so chock full of stems and floaters that any chasing takes more effort than it's worth. It's really important to break up the line of sight from one end of the tank to the other. That way fights are less likely to break out because they aren't always seeing each other and getting stressed by it.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #5 
NCPanthersgurl

kk so buy some floaters, probably live, and throw in a few more plants on the bottom. Check. :)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Riccia is a great floater. If you give it some lights and ferts it will explode in growth.

Plenty of live stem plants are easy to grow. My milfoil is like a weed, and rotala sp. green and ambulia are both quick spreading as well. I prefer live plants as they sort of 'grip' your females when they swim through, but don't scratch them like a plastic one might.

Also java moss is absolutely great for sororities. I had a big ball of it, and one of my quieter females would rest in there when the others got too rough. If they wanted to reach her, they would really have to work at it.

Forgot to add, I look forward to seeing photos of your sorority. They are very entertaining to watch, and if done right from day one, not hugely stressful at all.

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 08-24-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Forgot
Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #7 
Abby

riccia is a great floater but very messy. and one little strand will take over your tank. i pulled all the riccia out of my tanks and went over it as best i could and still missed some ill get u a pic f my sorority where its developed
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Haha I don't mind my riccia going out of control. My tank is very jungle-looking so I have riccia floating everywhere, bits of moss growing on my filter baffle, and a surprising clump of subwassertang that popped up on my wood.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #9 
NCPanthersgurl

Cool. I don't mind live plants, I'm just not very good at keeping them...alive. lol. Thankfully I have good access to live plants, so I'll probably get up there friday. Give the girls a couple days to de-stress from travel. They all flare at each other a bit through the jars, but not bad. I think Chard had them together in the first place but I'm not sure. Midna is the only one that concerns me...she'd wreck most of my males! D: But she's super pretty, and worse case scenario I'll buy her her own tank. Hopefully I won't need to. :)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #10 
Abby

seems my lights have a few minutes to go before they turn on haha. i have crypts im still waiting on them to grow in but i have java moss anubus, ummm a few others i cant put my tongue around.... pic coming soon
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote