Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Smile Female betta scrape?

So, I have three bettas. They are all in different tanks, with different fish. My female is in the 20 gallon with 6 platy fry and 4 balloon mollies (soon). I noticed she liked to burrow herself under the clam shells I have, and lay there, until she came out for food or to wander. I do have other hiding spots for her - and because she decided she prefered the clam shell, I supported it up with rocks, and dug it out more for her so she would not cut herself on it.

Unfortunately I was a bit late, as she did get herself on her side. Now, the first betta I owned did the same thing with a plant, and he healed on his own. This was...5 years ago. I have never had this problem until now.

Is there anything I should be watching out for? I did not realize she was a digger -.- None of my bettas ever did that lol.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

Haha, my first betta used to dig! x3 I misses him :<

But as long as it doesn't seem to get worse, all you really need is clean water. :)
It'll heal up on it's own. ^^ If it does get worse (look all infected and gross), put her in a smaller container that you can float in the tank to keep her warm and do a salt bath (Aquarium Salt only) of 1tsp/ gal. Keep up with that treatment for up to 10 days. And do daily 100% water changes (why a small container is easier) and keep adding the salt back in. :) Though I doubt it will get to where you need to use salt.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Yeah before, when I started owning bettas know what happened? I bought Bettafix. The first one, died over night. Second one, died over night. I was SOOO upset!!! I tossed that crap away, and now only want completely natural methods for everything in my tank - inlcuding driftwood vs. rocks, and "freshwater aquarium salt" which I used for the tank so I think she'll be fine.

I was just surprised because she likes to make her own hiding spots rather than using the provided ones...lol I just don't want her to get sick, because in the 20 gallon she'll get picked on if she is sick.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Ugh! I don't even know why they have that stuff...it's hurts their organs! >_< ; Tea tree oil is no bueno!

Also, don't use that AQ salt for a long period of time (10 days is usually the max.)- it can eventually really hurt them (burns their organs).

My 1st betta would bury himself under the glass marbles in his tank, and just lay there. xD cracked me up.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Haha she did the same thing with the clam shell... lying on her side (playing dead?) but in the 20 gallon its like a "where's waldo" with her......
Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

Hahah, that's exactly what mine used to do! xD Awwwsss :3
Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

well at least she (Madame) is not like my Spartan, male betta. He likes to try and go through, over, or under everything. The heck with going around... I think even he survived a poisoning, and jumping out of the tank... I am surprised HE is alive. I just do not want her to get sick because she is so pretty. Specks of metalic blue on her black striped body =D
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

Woooww! She's so pretty!! <3
Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Thanks :) found out she is a crowntail. And she is also 2.5 inches... bigger than most males :o my half-moon cross male betta is that size... with fins >< lol
Old 08-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #10 
youlovegnats

o0o nice! CT's are my fav tail type :>

dawww little boys = <3

Tags
betta, cut, fish