Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #1 
BabyBoyBlue

Question How active are Bettas ?

I've had my blue betta for a couple of months, and his activity level is not so high... it seems like he's mostly napping... I would say, about as much as my cats.

How active "should" they be?

I currently have him alone in a Hawkeye 360 view 2 gallon tank, with a 1 gallon filter running, and feeding him Aqueon Betta Pellets Betta (5-ish twice a day - I'm probably feeding him too much)

My thinking is that the 2 gallon tank isn't making him happy, because it's 2 gallons... and it's more tall then it is long... but I'm just guessing.

I'll be moving him into a 10 gallon tank soon, with a 50w water heater and add a couple of ghost shrimps and/or panda cory.

Last edited by BabyBoyBlue; 08-19-2011 at 06:04 PM.
BabyBoyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

welcome to the forum!
What temperature is his water now?How often and what percentage of water do you change?
5 pellets twice a day does seem a little much, I would cut back a little and see if that helps with his activity level..I would feed somewhere around 4 pellets a day...depending on your betta you might have to adjust that a bit..remember a bettas stomach is about the size of his eye.
He might just have a really full belly and not feel so much like moving...kinda like after people eat a lot on thanksgiving...
Also, some bettas are just more active than others. My older VT betta usually lays in his tall plants for most of the day..until he sees someone getting near his tank.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #3 
ForbiddenSecrets

Fish do enjoy swimming from side to side way more then they do up and down so that might be a problem with his activity level. Also does the tank have a heater? If it doesn't he might also be inactive do to being cold. [Depending on where you are. Where I live I can't keep my tanks cool enough. lol]

He will probably love the ten gallon, I know my boy does. He spends all day swimming about and exploring through his plants. c:
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #4 
BabyBoyBlue

I think you are right about the food being too much. I'll starting feeding him less, down to 4 pellets a day, and substituting for frozen bloodworms every other day.

I don't know what the water temp is. :( I have it on my list for this weekend, along with the new 10 gallon tank. :)
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

The reason I asked was because some bettas become sluggish when they get cold..Bettas like warmer waters around 77-80 degrees.Frozen bloodworms,frozen brine shrimp and a nice high protein pellet are all good foods.
Do you plan on doing a fish-in cycle or fishless cycle on your new 10 gallon?
I would make sure to cycle the tank before adding the corydoras and shrimp...They seem to be a bit more sensitive to unstable water parameters.
It sounds like you're going to have a nice tank setup. I look forward to seeing pictures of your new 10 gallon once you get it setup.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #6 
BabyBoyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
The reason I asked was because some bettas become sluggish when they get cold..Bettas like warmer waters around 77-80 degrees.Frozen bloodworms,frozen brine shrimp and a nice high protein pellet are all good foods.
Do you plan on doing a fish-in cycle or fishless cycle on your new 10 gallon?
I would make sure to cycle the tank before adding the corydoras and shrimp...They seem to be a bit more sensitive to unstable water parameters.
It sounds like you're going to have a nice tank setup. I look forward to seeing pictures of your new 10 gallon once you get it setup.
I plan on doing a fish-in cycle for the new tank... and then slowly add the cory and shrimp later on. I'll post pics once it gets set up.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #7 
BabyBoyBlue

I have my betta all set up in his new 10 gallon tank.

Everything is still reading zero (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). Just waiting for the ammonia to go up and start the cycling.

The water temp is at 80* with the aid of the heater.

I did get him 2x Zoo Med Leaf Hammock, because I noticed that he liked sleeping on the Nutrifin Feeding Ring that I had. He would sleep on the bar that connects the suction cup to the ring.

Most of the movements that I see him do, is during his feeding... and when he's moving from one hammock to the other hammock on the other side... it's hilarious.

I was thinking about getting the Zoo Med Floating Mirror, just to help "spark" his interest... but at the same time, I'm worried about stressing him out... or causing him to be more aggressive, which wouldn't be good if I decide to get some corys... because now he would be very territorial.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #8 
harrypotter

My betta loves his Leaf Hammock from Zoo Med!! I also have a really lazy betta, he's constantly sleeping. He's probably the only betta that was more active when he didn't have a heater
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoyBlue View Post
I have my betta all set up in his new 10 gallon tank.

Everything is still reading zero (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). Just waiting for the ammonia to go up and start the cycling.

The water temp is at 80* with the aid of the heater.

I did get him 2x Zoo Med Leaf Hammock, because I noticed that he liked sleeping on the Nutrifin Feeding Ring that I had. He would sleep on the bar that connects the suction cup to the ring.

Most of the movements that I see him do, is during his feeding... and when he's moving from one hammock to the other hammock on the other side... it's hilarious.

I was thinking about getting the Zoo Med Floating Mirror, just to help "spark" his interest... but at the same time, I'm worried about stressing him out... or causing him to be more aggressive, which wouldn't be good if I decide to get some corys... because now he would be very territorial.

Any thoughts?
I don't think the mirror would make him more aggressive..I am not sure I would leave the mirror in all the time though. I don't use betta mirrors, but occasionally I will use my makeup compact mirror and my fish will flare at it...He lives with 4 corydoras and he never goes after them when he sees himself in the mirror. I usually only leave it there for 5 minutes or so, over-flaring can cause ripped fins sometimes. I have an older guy that is kinda like your guy. He doesn't move around to much....Unless I get close or open the hood to feed him or my corydoras.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #10 
Laki

My betta Lakitu has always been active. When he's resting is when I wonder :) He's on the desk so me and my bf can see him and he always has someone to look at. I prefer to keep fish in high traffic areas. Got any pics ?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote