Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #1 
Anitax3x

i really need some input guys!

I have been trying to get ppl to respond to my posts. no such luck (except a couple) sigh i really am excited about my new 20 gal and would like some tankmates for my betta female ruby , she's a social butterfly lol and loves company. I would love to try any and all combinations of fish. Also my female betta flora would be taking her place in the 10 gal and I'd like some chill tankmates that wont stress her out because she's not so social. thanks Guys I would really appreciate as many replies as possible.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #2 
bettafish15

If the tank is cycled you can add tankmates, but if it isnt, you should wait awhile. A test kit could tell you if you're cycled :) It takes about 4-6 weeks.

If your tank is cycled, which is important because other fish are more sensitive, then cories are a good option. I just got 4 Bronze Cories and put them in my 14g, and they are very active and just so darn cute :3 Any cories would be good though. Try to have more than 4 of a species. :)

I don't have much experience with any other tankmates besides neon tetras, but those are ridiculously sensitive and not very active.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #3 
ChelseaK

Platy are my absolute favorite tank mates and they have pretty much the same bioload as bettas (from what I've read, I'm not an expert!) so the same "inch of fish per gallon" rule seems to apply to them as far as stocking goes. But you do have to be careful about the gender of the platy and even out the number of boys vs. girls. You should have a higher percentage of girls than boys when you have platy. They also prefer groups of three or more though they are not really considered schooling fish (I don't think so anyway).

Other tank mates I have are Glofish (danios), Glolite tetras (much hardier than neon tetras) and I even have one Clown loach which also are recommended in pairs or groups, but Rockzo's mate died within days of purchase and he's been very happy without. Clown loaches can be tricky because they are VERY good hiders. Literally, you will think that he jumped out of the tank and ran away or something, but he's probably just hiding under the gravel. They find the smallest hiding places they can sometimes, and they are generally nocturnal, although Rockzo is always out and about. My favorite characteristic of the clowns is that they will try to imitate the other fish around them as if trying to blend in. I gotta tell you, it's one of the funniest things to see a bottom dwelling fish, following my alpha betta female, journey to the surface for air, take a gulp, and then scurry back down to the bottom, just like a betta.

Woah, that ended up way longer than I thought it would, haha. So yeah, those are my two cents!
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #4 
Anitax3x

awesome guys :D yeah I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible before I stock my tank. my 10 gal has 1 betta 1 cory cat and 1 platy and the platy imitates and schools with the betta its so funny. And my betta never stresses she actually enjoys the company so its funny to watch these two. I share your amusement :D and I really appreciate the advice !
Old 09-09-2011, 12:50 AM   #5 
bettafish15

The cory in your 10g will get stressed without others of it's kind which will lead to an early death :/ A few more of his kind would make him much happier.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #6 
Anitax3x

ok ill do that tomorrow :D
Old 09-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #7 
ChelseaK

THey'll probably need more room though? A school of cories that is?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #8 
Anitax3x

my albino cory cats grow to 2 in in lenghth I imagine 3 witha betta and platy would be ok?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #9 
bettafish15

A school of 3 would be perfect. Anymore cories than that in a 10g would be too much, unless they were pygmy cories, in which case you could have 4-6.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #10 
ChelseaK

Cool cool. Been considering cories myself but don't want to crowd them.