Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

He survived a poisoning...

Yeah so, odd thing that happened. One of my tanks (5 gallon) killed off 2 guppies. I could not figure it out... So tried 2 minnows. They died. I cleaned out the entire tank, threw out the rocks, plants - all that stuff. Cycled and all, I tried again. I thought "maybe it is the filter" so when it was ready, placed one guppy and my betta in there. In less than 15 minutes both went into shock - I removed them to my main tank, but sadly the guppy died.

So the tank was leaking some poison, obviously, and my betta (Spartan) lived through it. Just now the underlining of his kills went black, but he has no problems other than the discoloration. Would the poisoning even have decreased his lifespan?? Sure hope not. Such a fighter my little Spartan :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:28 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

@ Sena

What is your ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and pH reading? What was it before you changed out your tank?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:36 AM   #3 
fightergirl2710

What did you use to clean your tank? Any chemicals?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #4 
CrowntailTwitchy57

i had the same issue with a tank that my dad got me, but he got it at St. Vincent De Paul, so perhaps there was some chemical still on the glass... sadly, my Twitchy didn't make it... :(
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

No I never clean with chemicals!!! I do everything natural. Before I got him, I had one betta (in a bowl for 7 years) who got sick, so I used Bettafix... it killed him. Next betta, 5 years old, Bettafix killed HIM. ever since then I do everything naturally...lower or heighten PH by natural means (driftwood, vs rocks for hardness and softness), only use tap water conditioner.

On that tank, there literally should not have been anything to kill my fish. I cleaned it out entirely with hot water, and a fish safe sponge (never used for anything else). It was just the glass...

But he won't have any underlining problems will he? :( I don't want to find out he is more susceptible to disease, or that he will die young. That would suck for my Spartan...
Only medication I would ever get, would be only for the following: _________. :p
and awww @ crowntail. doesn't that suck?? I avoid chemicals at all cost now.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

and everything had been fine in that tank - all readings and such (although I never had a problem with a betta in a bowl, which was odd... what do you expect I was like 13... xD )

In the new tank, with the froggy, it's completely normal, completely cycled, always kept clean (twice a month with gravel siphoning)

Tags
betta, fish, live, poison