Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #11 
Littlebittyfish

I would probably use aquarium salt..Epsom is mostly used as a laxative for bettas and helps with bloat.
This website is helpful in understanding the lifecycle of ick.
http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2160&aid=2421
The aquarium salt helps with keeping away infection when they cysts fall off. Once they fall off they die in 86 degree water temperatures...I leave my heater at 86 for a few weeks. My tank is now ick free. I would stick with one method though, sometimes combining meds with the higher heat can stress fish out.
Why did you turn the filter off?
Is there anyway you can get a photo of your betta?

I apologize if I am making no sense..I have only had 2 hours sleep. haha

It may be possible that the medication is having a bad side effect with your one guy.Was he acting ill before you started treatment?

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 08-24-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #12 
nopeanuts

nope he seemed fine when i woke up yesterday morning then looked at all the fish and found 2 had ick, put 3 tbs of salt in the 10g and 2 in the 5g. and then started the ich treatment and then i noticed he was swimmy twitchidy like and now looks worse today he looks dead at time then i move my finger to him and then he looks at me. but stays still.

as for turning up the heaters the 10g is the only one that has an adjustable heater. the 5g tank heater stays at 80. and i turned the filters off cause the ich treatment said to do it. but i leave it on durring the day and turn it off at night.

the unknow problem betta looks normal has his colors fins are not scrunched up. other then the weird dry looking spot under him he looks healthy. but he is not moving or swimming around, just stays at the top now and gets air sometimes. gills are not moving rapidly either.
nopeanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #13 
nopeanuts

ok so that site explained a lot to me about the ich. thank you tons for that. so my thought after reading that is to remove the 2 fish and raise the temp to 86 for a few days to kill off the ich in the tanks. then put the 2 bettas back and continue treatment for another couple days.

ok i looked back at the other fish with a problem and he built a very small bubble nest right over where he has been most of the day. sometimes he turns around and then back again. hes still the same way though
Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #14 
Littlebittyfish

Glad the site was helpful. It helped me understand it a bit more when I was battling Ich in my 29 gallon community tank. Once you notice the last spot of ich on the fish..leave the heater up for a week or so after to kill off any free-floating or in the gravel.
I would personally stop using the ick-cure and just stick with aquarium salt and heat.The quick medications for ich often have some nasty ingredients that can be harmful for a betta. The heat is safe as long as it is raised slowly. Also, I would do a water change daily or every other day and vacuum the gravel well.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #15 
nopeanuts

thanks for all the help. i will stop the ich cure stuff and stick to the salt and heat. and i hope the other guy makes it. but my guess is, internal problem.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #16 
Sena Hansler

cycle the tanks, yes, but the tanks still need to be treated. Without treatment the ich can stay in the tank... If you only have bettas in the tanks, why not just start over? I would suggest doing a drastic 50%-70% water change (if you ONLY have bettas in there). You can put the bettas in cups, or small containers which will be easier to then treat them. every day add salt, because every day do a 100% water change. This helps them a lot :)

Putting them both in the same tanks (the bettas you mean?) would not be a good idea. Even females can be bullies to each other. It'll just cause stress, which then healing won't be very fast ><
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote