Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #1 
hmckin20

Velvet? :(

I can't seem to get these guys to be healthy :C

See this thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78666

The outcome of that was the rest of my fish being all right, except for Hippie who is still a bit lethargic. But Caspian has his bouts of lethargy, and they tend to stick to floating on opposite sides of the divider.

Anyway I was taking pictures and

I took these yesterday:

and then I took these tonight:

And I noticed that Hippie is weirdly blue around his lower face/gills. And then I looked at Caspian, and he's got some weird green going down in the same area. Either they're making color changes, or I just never noticed it..

But I took a pic with flash:

If it's Velvet, and it's extremely contagious, I do my water changes all at the same time, is it possible my other tanks could be infected? :( My other fish aren't acting any different but.. preemptive strike. Sorry guys if I seem to be posting new threads here every day but I guess I'm just being a fretting new betta mama.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gal.
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? They live in a divided tank together.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 in the morning and 1 at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Daily.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Anywhere from 20%-30%, but I recently did a 100% change in fear of Hippie having gotten a bad dose of conditioner.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat and AQ salts

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I have not.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I may have not noticed it but Hippie is blue in the mentioned facial area and Caspian is green.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Caspian's a little less lethargic but Hippie is definitely lethargic, chilling in this one spot at the top of the tank. They're both still eating though - and seem to have happy stripes?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Hippie was clamped on Saturday, and then three of my other fish (Caspian included) seemed really lethargic/unhappy, and Shasta was clamped too. I put them into QT tanks and did 100% changes on their 10 Gals, and then gradually reintroduced them as they felt better.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatment yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Mentioned above.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure.

* Also I should probably note that Caspian has a bubble nest going on on his side but it's a few days old. So wtf is that green stuff D;

edit: -facepalm-
I looked back at older pictures of Hippie and this was him when he was healthier:

So maybe I'm being paranoid on his account..

lol I just went and took pictures of all of my guys with flash and they all looked at me like WHAT ARE YOU DOING I WAS ASLEEP YOU CRAZY WOMAN none of the others have this green icky.

Last edited by hmckin20; 08-24-2011 at 10:18 PM.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #2 
hmckin20

bump for help..
Old 08-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #3 
carzz

I don't think so.... But, I'm not the expert. Nick (my fish) has always has a dusty gold look to his face, but he is never sick. I treated him for it too, but he wasn't acting sick. So I think it might just be color.
But yes, you might want to take someone elses advice for safe measure.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm going to bump this to get some answers.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #5 
hmckin20

thanks DQ <3
he's still green but Hippie hasn't caught it, and he's still acting perfectly okay.. it just still looks ~really~ weird.

I have API Fungus Cure on standby. tempted to put some in.

also ignore Hippie's pictures, he's perfectly fine now.