Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #1 
Shockadine

Introduction

I wasn't really sure where to put a post like this, but I thought I'd let you know who I am before I randomly ask a zillion questions. I do not currently own any fish. I recently set up a 10g that I am waiting to finish cycling before I get my fish.

When I was a kid my mom always had a tank that contained young fish that would grow way too big for the tank they were in. She away sold them when they got too big. I particularly remember 2 oscars we had in a 30g. The oscars were always my favorite because of how fun they were to watch. They never hid and always seemed interested when you approached them. It broke my heart when she sold them but I hope they ended up in a bigger tank.

So a couple years ago I thought I might want an oscar. Just one. After much research I realized I really didn't have the space for a tank big enough for an adult oscar. I canned the whole fish idea until around the beginning of this year when I started thinking about one of the smaller species of goldfish thinking I wouldn't need as big of a tank. I soon realized that wouldn't save me much space and since goldfish are more social I thought it would be mean to keep one singly. I didn't want more than one and a few would also need a huge tank. I also love training animals. Especially ones people think can't be trained and I always loved the videos of oscars and goldfish doing tricks. But do to size and money I again dropped the fish idea.

Recently I looked at the empty space on my desk while sitting right here on this computer and thought "I could fit a 10g up here, but what kind of fish is solitary and small enough to live in a tank like that?" so I got on google and searched "Small solitary fish". I know that sounds silly. I ended up on a yahoo questions website where someone asked a similar question. Most everyone that answered mentioned the betta. All I could picture was those fish in cups at the pet store, and the few people I knew in my life that had them in tiny bowls and vases. They just seemed to sit on the bottom and do nothing, yet people online said over and over that they were active and would come up to glass at feeding time or when their people would approach them. So I did a little research and quickly realized, I would probably sit and do nothing if I had no space, nothing to do and I was cold, too. So I read a bit more and one site had a video of a betta swimming through a hoop. I was sold. Looks like I finally found a match.

I have lots of questions. I hope everyone will help me out. I want to do this guy justice and avoid as many problems as possible, because this is my first tank and I don't him to suffer for that. I look forward to talking to you all.
Shockadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #2 
Betta Newbie22

Welcome to the forum :) Anyone here would love to answer any questions you may have we're all crazy about Bettas :)
Betta Newbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 AM   #3 
Micho

Welcome to the forums~

Don't hesitate to ask any questions!
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:09 AM   #4 
Banicks

Welcome!

I've only just started out myself also. The stickies are very helpful, so I recommended you start with them. Almost every perceivable question is covered already!

But if you have any further questions, there are so many experts on here that would be able to help.

Looking forward to seeing your little fella when you get him :D
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #5 
Abby

Your all forgetting to mention one minor detail....Betta's are VERY addictive, that ten gal can be divided 4 ways just FYI
i got my FIRST serious betta in january, 6 months on ive now had 27 bettas (7 have passed on) and i am buying more males and females as breeding stock.

Edit: Welcome to the hobby that will make you laugh and smile, break your heart and empty your wallet ;)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

Yeah. I got one in march and now I have 16 of them I had tried bettas before but they would die in 24 hours :(
Probably cause no one told me I needed water conditioner

OH and DO NOT BELEIVE EVERYTHING THE PET STORE TELLS YOU especially if its petsmart or petco. Seriously. Their employees tend to be misinformed.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-25-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #7 
Shockadine

Thanks for the friendly welcome. I don't always gets such an inviting feeling on a new forum. I have been trying to read stuff around the forum first so I don't ask the questions you've all answered 100 times.

I know what you mean about pet store advice. I learned not to trust them when they started trying to give me parrot advice. Wow. The things I've heard. I've gotten some really bad dog advice too and I didn't even ask for it.

I know I said I don't have the space for a huge tank but I can think of lots of places I have space for small ones. Hey! Don't start giving me ideas! Haha.
Shockadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #8 
mjoy79

Welcome! I know others have mentioned the "betta bug" that seems to have already bitten you and you dont even own one yet! Look forward to seeing pics of your first, second, third, etc bettas!
I'm also one that had just one betta just a few months ago and now I have 11 :) Not trying to scare you or anything!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #9 
Amphibianite

:P haha Welcome to the forums ^_^. As mentioned this hobby is addictive... I started oh 2/3 weeks ago... I am up to 6 betta boys....I am looking at setting up a 20 gal as a sorority for 8-11 females and also looking into breeding... You will get hooked and try to find anyplace at all you can set up tank to have a betta. @_@
You will go into any store with a fish section make a bee line for the bettas and stand there going AWWWW poor guys, lets see I want you and you and you and you and you and you and you and you too.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #10 
Aquarianblue

welcome

Hey guy. (or gal)

Today's my first day here myself. but I wanted to wish you a very warm welcome to your new online home. I thought i was hooked on just bettas, but this site is just as amazing!
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote