Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Which Pair Should I Breed?
Phoenix - Male Red Crowntail 6 27.27%
Dragon - Male Silver Dragonscale 16 72.73%
Vivian - Blue/Red Female Veiltail 12 54.55%
Ruby - Orange/Red Female Veiltail 4 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #11 
remiska28

Yeah I was thinking that as I posted my last message...I know with them, they cull their own young since I normally start out with 200ish, but end up with 100 by the time their ready to go to new homes. I actually will be selling some off next 2 weeks or so.
remiska28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

That brings me to a method of culling I forgot about. Leaving the father with the fry. I usually leave my males with the fry as long as I feel safe that they're not eating fry just to eat them.... usually not more than a week though. Early on the father can tell bad fry from good fry and will cull them... it'll take your spawn number down quickly but usually not your good fry... but you have to watch carefully and make sure your male isn't an egg/fry eater.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #13 
remiska28

Honestly most of the fish I've bred the parent(s) took care of them...I've only bred oscars, guppies and convicts...with the guppies since they tended to be so numerous I just left the fry in with the parents since there were so many hidey holes and such in the tank the babies could go that the parents couldn't. I had a mesh cage that the babies could go into that was too small for the parents.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #14 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by remiska28 View Post
Indjo, why don't you mix red to anything nonred? Is red a dominant gene? Or is that a personal preference for you?
Fightergirl is right - red is difficult to clean out. I prefer solid, clean colors like your second male. It would take a few generation to clean out (totally) the red genes.

If you breed the copper to the classic, you would get a variety of possible outcomes. If your copper has a strong back ground, you may get some coppers. You will most probably get basic colors with red fins (incl. the classic color)

I don't think true silver and true blue can show on one fish. At least I haven't seen one. You can try combining your copper PK to a blue. But IME you would mostly end up with steel blue, blue, green and a darker shade of copper (not a silver shade). Then inbreed the colors you like best to make them breed true.

I usually cull by feeding them to a bigger fish - currently : catfish and gurame (?spelling)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #15 
remiska28

That is really interesting. Though I would love to get more silvers and more dark almost black blues...something about those tones I love. The tail variation doesn't really bother me so I'll focus on that later.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

As long as you have a goal and know the basic knowledge towards it. .....

If I may suggest, try to work with both color and form at the same time because once you have the color you want, you might ruin your line by introducing new and more dominant colors to obtain form. And vise versa.

I think bettysplendens has an article on making silver .... (not sure).

If you look at the melano (not the clean ones), the ones that has sort of blue irids on the body - is that the dark/black blue you're talking about?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #17 
remiska28

yeah in normal light it looks almost black, but when the light hits its a deep blue.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #18 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I've only seen those kinds of blues in melanos. There are combinations of blue and black, but it doesn't make the blue look darker. This combination is possible even with a rather light shade of blue. So I guess you'd have to work with melanos to get the color you want.
In case you don't know, female melanos are infertile and can not be bred.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #19 
remiska28

Sorry for the pic spam. I shot several pics of Vivian. But Ruby also wanted to pose as well. Vivian is the darker one :D What kind of betta is Vivian?
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #20 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Not sure; her anal suggests that she is a PK. But her caudal seem rather long for a PK. Maybe she is fully grown thus has a fully developed caudal