Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #1 
Stardancer

New girl: bloat or eggs?

One of my coworkers (not the one who gave me my last fish) brought me a tiny, tiny girl last Friday (five days ago). She was none too happy to be plopped into a foreign tank, but by Monday the stress stripes disappeared and her natural royal blue shimmer appeared--she's really lovely.

My question is that she's fatter, or deeper, if you will, than my red veiltail boy. She has a sort of bump on her tummy between the little front fins and the longer back one. I thought when she arrived that maybe it was bloat, but it hasn't gone away. She's incredibly active and doesn't appear sick at all, so now I'm wondering if maybe she's full of eggs. Any insight?
Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Once mature- females have unripe eggs all their life-they will either drop and eat the eggs or not or reabsorb the unripe eggs on a regular bases.
When they eat or reabsorb the eggs its not uncommon for their poop to look different-often it will look somewhat creamy, white in appearance for a day or so.....

Females should look more rotund or deeper bodied than the male and the little white thing between the ventral fins is the ovipositor or egg tube...it will sometimes extend more when ready to spawn or when she drops her eggs.

Its not uncommon for females to carry themselves or swim with a more tail up head down position or to see a change in stripe pattern......

You don't want to confuse bloat with a normal full or egg tummy....usually with bloat and egg bound issues you will see other symptoms along with the extended stomach.....like-buoyancy problems, lethargic, clamp fins, not eating or pooping, hiding...etc.......

Love to see some pics.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-31-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #3 
Stardancer

Her egg spot is pretty prominent; between that and the fact that she doesn't seem to be in distress at all, I'm leaning towards eggs. I'll try to put up a photo later today.

Thank you so much for your help!!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #4 
Stardancer

Here she is! (Sorry it's so blurry; I'm at work and all I have with me is my cell phone.) You can see her shape, though, the little bulge on her belly that starts between her front fins.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #5 
MMAsac
Banned

photo is not showing.... :(
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #6 
Stardancer

Okay, take two:

Last edited by Stardancer; 09-02-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #7 
Stardancer

Anyone want to comment? I think her belly may have shrunk very slightly over the long weekend, but I'm not sure. She's still behaving like a healthy, active fish.

If it is eggs, how long will it take her to reabsorb/drop them?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #8 
Stardancer

I take that back, her "bump" definitely hasn't shrunk at all. She showed stress stripes for a moment when I came in and turned her light on this morning, but they disappeared within minutes. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong, but I'm still kind of worried.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

If she is overall acting and eating like her normal self.....I wouldn't worry....its normal for them to have eggs...she will always have eggs...unripe and they are dropped or reabsorbed on a regular bases and replaced with fresh one.....a cycle of sorts.....

Stripes and color change don't always mean stress.....stripes and color changes are a form of communication and camo.......

If you see other signs/symptoms-like clamped fins, flashing, hiding, lethargic, buoyancy problems, she stops pooping and eating.....along with the extended stomach and color changes.....she is symptomatic and need treatment.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #10 
Stardancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
If she is overall acting and eating like her normal self.....I wouldn't worry....its normal for them to have eggs...she will always have eggs...unripe and they are dropped or reabsorbed on a regular bases and replaced with fresh one.....a cycle of sorts.....

Stripes and color change don't always mean stress.....stripes and color changes are a form of communication and camo.......

If you see other signs/symptoms-like clamped fins, flashing, hiding, lethargic, buoyancy problems, she stops pooping and eating.....along with the extended stomach and color changes.....she is symptomatic and need treatment.....
Oh good! I'll keep an eye on her, but she's acting healthy, so that's a relief. I also managed to find a couple online pics of egg-heavy females, and Princess does look like the fish in those photos.

Thank you so much!