Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

My betta lasted 7 years in a bowl...

That's right. Did you know I tried asking on "yahooanswers" how come my betta lasted so long with only two illnesses in 7 years, and my question got reported? Not even a single answer. Are bowls so terrible you have to not answer a simple question?? :o geesh... Yahoo answers people think they know all

Anyways, how come he DID last so long :o The water was always room temperature or warmer. I cleaned his bowl (when I remembered... whaaat he was my first fish :/ ) I forgot him a few times (again, first fish...oops...) But he lasted for 7 years lol... He has a cloudy eye once, so I cleaned his bowl and it went away. He got a cut, so I took the plant out. Other than that... he was active, did tricks, bubble nest, ate, played....

So, if bowls are so terrible how come he lasted so long (until BETTAFIX KILLED HIM -gasp- )? Or could it just be the people who care for the fish? I have seen people have a fish in a cycled 10 gallon, done everything right, and still kill every single fish they get... and they take better care of their fish than I do :o
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #2 
Laki

Hmm. People do all sorts of things to fish and they survive. People keep them in vases with nothing to eat but the plant roots O.o
So, I have no answer to your question.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Hmm. People do all sorts of things to fish and they survive. People keep them in vases with nothing to eat but the plant roots O.o
So, I have no answer to your question.

LOL. I know... i swear it is just the people who care for them... not the actual container. Maybe one day I may just test this out but first I need a place that is NOT in the basement lol anything that does not have a heater would become fish-cicle.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #4 
LaLaLeyla

Hey Im not against bowls actually : 3
It seems bettas in big tank get just as unhealthy as bettas in bowls. Maybe even more unhealthy xP
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #5 
Aven

Uh cool? It was obviously the fish and not just the person taking care of him...did you ever think of that? why do some people live 100 years while some only like 70?
Aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #6 
BabyBoyBlue

I think you had a special fish. From what I understand, living in a larger tank is healthier for the majority of fishes.

George Burns lived until 100, smoked cigars every day... doesn't mean that smoking cigars everyday is ok for everyone.... George Burns was just special.
BabyBoyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #7 
cajunamy
Banned

I don't mind bowls or jars, as long as they are properly maintained and if it's a permanent house I'd hope that it was adequate in size and had proper hidey holes and silk plants.

I think it's great the fish lived so long, you obviously had a special one. Yet I wouldn't try it with another fish - he might not last nearly as long.

The water temp probably contributed to his longevity as colder water will slow down their metabolism. He obviously had a superb immune system, which not all bettas have.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

It's the same reason my dad's goldfish lived for 5 or 6 years in a 10 gallon tank and grew to 6 inches. Some fish are just hardier than others.

Personally, I don't know whether that hardiness is a good thing when it just prolongs the suffering of the fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Proabably the same reason my sister has 4 goldfish in a 10 gallon and only changes the water when it gets dirty. Her fish survived for years and are still alive
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #10 
AngelicScars

I think it's a fish to fish basis.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote