Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #11 
Leeniex

I had two beautiful goldfish for years in a 15 gallon. My SIL killed them when I was on my honeymoon.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #12 
Banicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
That's right. Did you know I tried asking on "yahooanswers" how come my betta lasted so long with only two illnesses in 7 years, and my question got reported? Not even a single answer. Are bowls so terrible you have to not answer a simple question?? :o geesh... Yahoo answers people think they know all

Anyways, how come he DID last so long :o The water was always room temperature or warmer. I cleaned his bowl (when I remembered... whaaat he was my first fish :/ ) I forgot him a few times (again, first fish...oops...) But he lasted for 7 years lol... He has a cloudy eye once, so I cleaned his bowl and it went away. He got a cut, so I took the plant out. Other than that... he was active, did tricks, bubble nest, ate, played....

So, if bowls are so terrible how come he lasted so long (until BETTAFIX KILLED HIM -gasp- )? Or could it just be the people who care for the fish? I have seen people have a fish in a cycled 10 gallon, done everything right, and still kill every single fish they get... and they take better care of their fish than I do :o
I personally don’t know mate, and I doubt anyone would be able to give you a definitive answer – but this you already know I’m sure. It’s like asking why a dog died at 2 years of age and another will live until 14 years of age – there are simply too many variations and unknowns to tell. It could have been the alignment of the stars and the moon. It could have been that your tap water was a perfect condition for use. It was certain however that your Betta was Rambo in toughness! 7 years is a very long time when their expected lifespan is 2 years. I had a Netherland Dwarf rabbit who I caught at the rockery of a petrol station, his expected life span was 6-8 years, he lived until 13 years of age. He had cataracts towards the ending of his years. Why did he live this long, when I was simply a child who wasn’t able to look after him well? My parents helped when I wasn’t looking – maybe that’s another possibility for you. Who knows!

OFL wrote up a decent article on Betta’s and small to large tank sizes. Many members have posted their opinions and observations, and from what I can tell only this is certain: Every Betta is different. Funny thing is, every Human is different also. What one person can survive through another may not. I think the biggest thing most recommend on here is for a beginner to get a decent sized tank and setup so that they can learn about cycling and also have the greatest opportunity for the Betta to live comfortably. It takes into account that the beginner may make mistakes and a larger tank dilutes any dangerous toxin levels or mistakes. Sure, this doesn’t always work – my little guy is a having a problem at the moment, but that could be just me being sensitive to what I perceived as his normal routines. He is only been in his tank for around 4 days now – and perhaps this is the real Victor coming out. One thing is for certain that I won’t be making the assumption it is just normal, I want to make sure it’s not ammonia levels or something else.

Digressing, I certainly believe that if a Betta displays stress symptoms in a large tank, but does not in a smaller one, that he may be better off in a smaller one. (not a plastic container mind you – nothing lives in that but reptile food). But also vice-versa I believe if a Betta displays stress symptoms in a small tank, but does not in a larger one, he may be better off in a large one. I have a 23L (6g) – Victor was sitting in the pet store in about a .5-1g glass tall tank happily (from what I could perceive in the hour I was there) – when I brought him home I acclimatised him in the tank and released. He sat there still for a minute, then he was off exploring and 4 days later no signs what so ever of ill effect or stress, or tail biting for that matter.

I know some members on here swear by minimum 2.5g others will size accordingly to fish personality. I think both methods are commendable in their own right, but even small tank owners I think will sit here and tell you, anything under 2g will need specific water changes now that you are an adult for the continued health and comfort of the Betta.

I can only say whether you go large or small, that is ultimately your decision. But do not justify lack of water changes or treatment in the future by using your previous Betta who lived 7 years please!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Oh, I would not doubt that it was a fish to fish basis. Except it HAS to also be the person... I did NOT say it is ONLY because of the person (directed at the "did you ever think of that, which came across as a bit rude). I have had people take 110% care of their healthy fish and every single one died, yet mine thrive, and breed >< (danios are not supposed to breed easily in captivity, needed to be conditioned... yet mine bred without a problem)

I loved my betta D: so sad bettafix took him... He probably could have lived even longer.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

This time I have a betta who survived a mystery poison leaking from the glass of a tank... 2.5 years :D he's in the picture, flaring. Spartan ^^
Old 08-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #15 
SnowySurface

I agree that your fish was just very hearty. Both of my current Bettas were in 1 gallon tanks for 2 years before I upgraded recently. Of course a lot of people would think, "Oh that's so horrible keeping them like that." But I was able to make a 1 gallon tank healthy for them. Both tanks had gravel, filter, thermometer, castle to hide in, silk plant, and heater (after finding this forum). It may have been small but all the equipment fit and I did 50% pwc twice a week and a full water change once a week. I only upgraded so they can be in a cycled tank to decrease the stress of full water changes. I know I have to do a full water change on a 5 gallon cycled tank eventually, but not nearly as often as the 1 gallon tanks.

In short, I could write up a post that said, "I kept my fish alive in a 1 gallon for two years and they're still swimming!" and not be lying. But that is only part of the story. There really are two many variables behind what kept your fish alive for 7 years. I've had some fish in my 1 gallon set up last for barely 1 year and other fish nearly reach 3 years. The life span of one fish can't justify my old 1 gallon set up for every single fish. There are just too many variables for one answer to cut it. : /

And as for getting reported, that question was taken as a personal attack. It's all well and good that my fish lived decent lives in 1 gallon of water, but that doesn't mean someone is wrong for having a single betta in 10 gallons. So, someone reported you because the question was so tongue in cheek. If you really want an answer (since I can't see sarcasm or sencerity in letters) the only answer I can give is luck. You lucked out with a fish that had a good immunine system, good general healthy, enjoyed small spaces, and was destined to live a very long life. I'm sorry bettafix killed your fish since a lot of fish owners don't realize bettafix can damage the organ that lets bettas breath air.

Now, please stop bragging about it? Some of us lost fish after only a few months while doing everything right. It's annyoing hearing someone go on and on about how they did everything wrong and still had there fish for years on end. I'm doing everything right for Luigi and Snowy (as of 2 months ago)and I doubt they will see 4. :(

Last edited by SnowySurface; 08-26-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: fixed typos
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #16 
Sena Hansler

I'm not bragging. I was just pointing out, that a betta could live in a bowl... Depending on variables of course. And then I asked how come my fish lasted so long... And people answered: strong fish and luck. I do not see bragging in that but okay then.

Anyways, what IS bettafix?? It said "natural oils" so I thought it would have been fine for the fisg...I even used less than the minimum dose D: I just use aquarium salt (for freshwater fish) for any illnesses. It seems to work nicely :) Anyone else actually have something that works for their betta?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Also, @ Banicks

We have to keep my friend's betta in the 1.5 gallon tank because we found out he is genetically blind. Anything bigger he doesn't move much unless there are other fish (bought him from a tank of guppies) but he is vicious with the fish, because he is blind. Anything smaller he stresses out >< So guess that's his permanent tank... maybe an upgrade to a 3 gallon eventually for him.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #18 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
I had a Netherland Dwarf rabbit who I caught at the rockery of a petrol station, his expected life span was 6-8 years, he lived until 13 years of age. He had cataracts towards the ending of his years. Why did he live this long, when I was simply a child who wasn’t able to look after him well? My parents helped when I wasn’t looking – maybe that’s another possibility for you. Who knows!

FYI (off topic) domesticated species of rabbits are expected to live as long as 13, That's not unusual. Given today's veterinary advancements and the fact the the only reason bunnies have short lifespans is in people's minds as they are comparing them to wild rabbits, hares and the like. Wild lagamorphs are so far removed from domesticated species that they can no longer be compared. People haven't moved from the old ways of thought on that in the same ways they compare wolves to pet dogs and believe things like bettas can live in as unnatural a place as a col bowl with no cleaning etc. . :) Just an FYI that your bunny living to be 13 was normal!! (even better chances of them living longer are of they are spayed and neutered but males live long anyway bc they lack the chance of dying from ovarian cancer) Just thought I'd mention!! I love bunnies!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #19 
Banicks

Oh don't get me wrong, I loved the little guy.

But it wasn't like he ever visited the vet outside of the scheduled callici virus boosters.

I think the main thing was - he was spoilt rotten with specific foods he liked (we used to drive 1.5 hours to a ranch to get a specific pellet which was the only one he would eat)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Hey here is a weird question... people keep saying "oh no, must bring my FISH to the VET." who ever has actually done that??? I haven't :/ I did not think vets helped with fish lol