Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #21 
Laki

People laughed at me when my bunny was undergoing multiple treatments for abscesses and tooth problems and the like. They would probably pee their pants if I even so much as mentioned bringing a fish to the vet. I don't think there are any in the province that would look at a fish anyway :/ They make their money on dogs, cats and more recently, small animals.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #22 
Sena Hansler

Yeah that's what I thought. People here still say "bring your fish to the vet" yet they never owned a fish >< Well I'd bring my bunny (if I had one) in for problems like that :p why not? It's like a plush puppy. lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #23 
dragonflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Hey here is a weird question... people keep saying "oh no, must bring my FISH to the VET." who ever has actually done that??? I haven't :/ I did not think vets helped with fish lol
Likely a betta would be considered an "exotic," and many vets will treat them, as far as I know. However; the best place to take any sort of fish would be a vet that specializes in aquatics (they do exist). There aren't nearly as many of those as I recall, though there is a market for them. Some species (especially salt water types) can get quite expensive; and while no one wants people to see fish as ornamental...it is still incentive for those that do to seek out a vet when their fish are ill.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

dragonflie, that makes sense. But sadly here there is no such thing. I would understand for salt water fish because you are paying hundreds of dollars for the fish to thrive, let alone die and have to get new ones :o
Old 09-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
I don't mind bowls or jars, as long as they are properly maintained and if it's a permanent house I'd hope that it was adequate in size and had proper hidey holes and silk plants.

I think it's great the fish lived so long, you obviously had a special one. Yet I wouldn't try it with another fish - he might not last nearly as long.

The water temp probably contributed to his longevity as colder water will slow down their metabolism. He obviously had a superb immune system, which not all bettas have.
I agree with Amy.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #26 
Comet1993

Comet had an appointment with a vet.. Even for a betta, it was going to be extremely expensive. It would be about...$125, I think. o.o
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #27 
Laki

Even if the vet knows the best thing you can give a betta is salt water or stress coat, most would still squandor 125$ out of you! Keep in mind, it is still a business :/ I got ripped off with my dog once. NEVER going back there again. Sadly, some vets will take what they can off you.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

haha yeah... for my fish, I go to the pet store manager. Used to work for him. I ask, "hey my balloon molly has this problem..' or "hey my betta is like this?" and he basically told me "do not bother with medicines you'll end up killing them most of the time. If salt can fix it, use it. Some things like ich may need medicines but depends on the fish and such." And I agree 110% with him.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #29 
Sparrow

The real question is, how log would this genetically gifted fish have lived if given other conditions? Did it live that long because of what you did for it - or despite it?

As someone mentioned, some humans treat their bodies like crap and thrive into their 90s. That doesn't mean that it's okay for others to treat their bodies like crap, or that anyone should expect to achieve the same.

The other question is - how happy was he? Did he survive, or thrive? How enriching is it to live in a small space for so long? Bettas are intelligent, and while he may have done okay, imagine what it would have been like for him to live those years with lots of clean, warm space and things to explore!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #30 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
The real question is, how log would this genetically gifted fish have lived if given other conditions? Did it live that long because of what you did for it - or despite it?

As someone mentioned, some humans treat their bodies like crap and thrive into their 90s. That doesn't mean that it's okay for others to treat their bodies like crap, or that anyone should expect to achieve the same.

The other question is - how happy was he? Did he survive, or thrive? How enriching is it to live in a small space for so long? Bettas are intelligent, and while he may have done okay, imagine what it would have been like for him to live those years with lots of clean, warm space and things to explore!
This so much
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote