Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #31 
Sena Hansler

Well let's see... He was very vibrant, very active, fins were never scraped, damaged, torn, chewed, he ate very well, he liked having his little cave in the middle to which he would go in and out (never sulking in it). I made sure to never use a net on him, cleaned his bowl and made sure the temperature was the same and to use tap water conditioner.... His water temperature (he DID have a thermometer) was usually 22, usually 23.

Oh yeah I still have his bowl. It's a "goldfish" bowl... and it's bigger than I thought. It's probably 2-2.5 gallons.

So tell me, does it sound like he merely lived not thrived?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #32 
Sena Hansler

And btw, who said I would be sticking all my bettas in bowls because ONE fish lasted so long? I didn't. I was just amazed he did last that long... Because I have 1. not the time to clean every bowl every three days 2. don't have as hardy of bettas (well, two are but the others aren't) and 3. am breeding my bettas I kind of need tanks... And would rather them anyhow because it's easier to find heaters, and to use tap water conditioner (use ever so much for one gallon, is usually how to use mine o.o)
Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #33 
Sparrow

Like I said, he may have done fine, but there is no question that he would have done BETTER with more space and things to enrich his days. Intelligent animals are always happier when their minds can be engaged.

Just like the people who say "I'm overweight and never get sick!" That doesn't mean they wouldn't feel better lean, it's just that they don't know any better. Even being happy doesn't mean things are ideal.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #34 
Sparrow

Also, some cold-blooded animals will live longer at temps below what is comfortable for them, but they aren't as happy as they would be with a somewhat shorter, but more active life. It sounds like yours was active, but again, without being able to compare the same fish in different circumstances, you can't say he wouldn't have been happier with warmer water and more room. You have no way of knowing.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #35 
1fish2fish

Hard to tell without seeing the fish. All I know is one of my earliest fish lived happily for 3.5 years in a 1 gallon unheated tank.. or so I thought. When he was upgraded to 5 gallons, cycled, heated, with live plants I couldn't believe the transformation. I always thought Fish was happy with his plastic plant and shark cave. Never had issues with his health or fins.... but boy was there a difference when he was put in that big tank. That is the difference between thriving and surviving.

You can be in a bad situation and still be a happy person. You make the best of what you have available to you. Doesn't mean a better situation wouldn't make you even happier.

No one here says that a bowl can't be a perfectly suitable home for a betta. IF it is of proper size, has proper heating, and proper water changes.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #36 
Sena Hansler

One betta I had was never active when he was at 23 (this is Celsius people :p ) he wanted 27. My giant female could care less as long as her water is kept clean (don't blame her).

Kinda sucks my one betta, Dusk, had a 10 gallon to himself but when I bought him I never realized he was a bit of a weakling :( see even having a betta in a tank under very very good circumstances they can die. Guess it depends on the betta.. Well and the person (if you never clean you sentence them to death)
Old 09-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #37 
Sena Hansler

And again... I never said anyone here dis'd bowls. I mean I use bowls (big 3 gallon ones) for any newcomers just for a short couple hours before they get into one of my tanks.