Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #1 
Princess Penny

Sand!

Today I took out the pebbles that I had in Ammo's tank and exchanged them for sand! I want a planted tank because I really like natural-looking aquariums and figured this was the best way to go as far as live plants are concerned when it comes to substrate. I just got a few of the 5lb bags of Petco brand aquarium sand. I'm really pleased with it, it wasn't very dirty or dusty but I gave it a quick rinse in a bucket anyway. It took hardly any time at all for everything to settle, which is great because Ammo didn't have to be in his cup for as long as I'd planned :)

Right now the only rooted plants in there are crypts, I actually bought one plant a couple weeks ago and have been able to split it quite a few times already as you can see. I think I need some plants that will get taller though, to provide better cover and help fill out the tank, it's looking pretty bare since I took out all the fake plants. I'm very open to suggestions! Just keep in mind my tank is low-moderate light (right now I'm just using the light that came with it, which is a 15w red), and I am using liquid fertilizer. I will probably pick up some root tabs next time I go to Petco. I want to find some rocks or something to add as well... hmm
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

That looks really nice! I love the sand.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #3 
Princess Penny

Thanks! I like it too, I'm really glad I switched.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #4 
Vaughan06

I like it as well. I thought about using sand before, but how do you clean it? I would think it isn't as easy to remove and rinse it like gravel.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #5 
Princess Penny

It is supposed to be easier to clean, because the debris settles on top of it instead of falling into cracks like with gravel. So you just hold the hose close to the surface and it sucks up the debris, you don't have to dump it :)
Old 09-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Awh it's so cute that Ammo and his sand match :3
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

I have sand in my tropical tanks... I hope to have sand in my betta tanks sometime. Remember to mix up your sand to remove air pockets at least twice a month! I much rather sand over gravel.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #8 
Creat

I have never had a problem with gas pockets in my sand however the tanks that dont have a problem are planted thicker.. mostly cause the roots are the ones who end up getting into the pockets. And I love sand especially the black sand I notice fish get more vibrant colors with it and you can clean it easier. And those desktop aquariums by the way I have had crazy success growing plants in my tiger lilies went insane XD
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #9 
hufflepuffyfish

I really love your tank... I want to do something similar with my sorority tank... but I don't really know what plants to put yet either. =D Really nice job... Your aquarium pwns. ;D Your fishy is impressed. lol

And where did you but the pots??
hufflepuffyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #10 
Princess Penny

Thanks! I bought the flower pot at Wal-Mart, and broke it in half with a hammer XD You can probably find them at any hardware store or craft store as well :)