Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #1 
LindaS

Not sure what's wrong with my Betta

I have a platinum male Betta that about 3 weeks ago developed a vertical patch of raised scales on his side. It is whiter than the rest of him, but not fuzzy or cottony. It is difficult to tell because of his natural color, but he does appear to have some opaque white patches on the top of his head as well. These could have developed first & I just didn't notice. He is still eating with gusto and seems otherwise fine behaviorally, though I have not noticed him blowing his bubbles. I immediately thought bacterial or fungal infection, and have treated him weekly with first Bettafix, then Pimafix, then Betta Revive (not simultaneously, water changes in between). The patch appears to be getting larger (both wider & the scales more raised). I use aquarium salt & BettaSafe and regularly change his water weekly. For ease of photography I put him in the container I got him in, but his regular home is a larger glass container with a plant and a statue. I tried for a while keeping his water in a rinsed plastic milk jug under my kitchen sink, and I am thinking that this may have caused the problem. I have stopped doing that since this problem began. Any ideas and advice would be appreciated. I really want to save him. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by LindaS; 08-28-2011 at 06:56 PM.
LindaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #2 
Leeniex

I hope someone can help you....he's beautiful. :(
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

What dosage of aquarium salt are you using? You could try using 2-3 tsp/gal for 5 days with 100% changes every day to see if that helps any. Are his scales sticking out like a pine cone? Also, could you tell us your water change schedule for his tank, as well as tank size, and what temperature the water is at?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #4 
Neil D

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Fill this out.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #5 
LindaS

more info

Housing
What size is your tank? It is a glass bowl that hold 48 oz water
What temperature is your tank? Not sure exactly, room temp - I let the water sit out. No a/c in my house.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bites & freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 3 Betta Bite pellets & as many bloodworms as he will eat in about 1 min.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 7-10 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 1/4 t aquarium salt and 4 drops Betta safe per 64 oz water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? I haven't tested the water but I am willing to go out & buy a test kit. I know we have pretty hard water around here.

If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? (see photos in original post) opaque white vertical section of raised scales on his side - a little bit like a pine cone along the back edge, but kind of uniform in the entire patch. Also some opaque white patches on top of head & between eyes. It is hard to tell b/c he is an all white/platinum colored fish. Patch has progressively gotten wider over the past 3 weeks.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not blowing bubbles. Otherwise no change.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 wks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Started with Bettafix - 27 drops/day for 7 days. Changed water. Then did Pimafix - 5 drops/day for 7 days (dosing was difficult for small amount of water). Changed water, then did Betta Revive 3 drops/day for 3 days. Changed water.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Purchased 5 months ago from a national chain pet store
LindaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

You'll need to up your water changes for that bowl. Anything less than a 5 gallon (in my opinion) that is unfiltered could use a 50% and 100% weekly change. as for the aquarium salt, use only that and premix 1 tsp/gal to see if it helps any, top the bettafix for now.

Regularly keeping aq salt in with bettas isn't a good habit to get into because it hurts their labrynth organ, which they use to breathe.

Last edited by Pataflafla; 08-29-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #7 
Myates

Bettafix bad.
It may be ammonia burns?
You said "Bettafix - 27 drops/day for 7 days. Changed water. Then did Pimafix - 5 drops/day for 7 days (dosing was difficult for small amount of water). Changed water, then did Betta Revive 3 drops/day for 3 days. Changed water."
Did you do daily water changes when adding the meds?
Would start doing daily water changes with what Pata said about the AQ salt. Also may want to see if you can ask Oldfishlady about it, she usually knows everything about everything about our lil friends =)
Good luck, let us know how he's doing.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #8 
Neil D

The smaller container is ok for treatment, but to prevent any reoccurrence of any other disease, please upgrade to a 3+ gallon tank with a heater. This is the first step to preventing anymore issues.

EDIT!!

I just converted 48 oz, THAT IS WAY TOO SMALL. UPGRADE NOW. sorry, didn't mean to yell lol, but really, twice daily water changes would be best for that size.

Last edited by Neil D; 08-29-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #9 
bahamut285

48oz of water? with 7-10 days between changes? Yikes, I would be doing 100% changes everyday for that. I recommend (as PFF said) to use 1 teaspoon/gallon of AQUARIUM salt for 10 days straight, changing 100% of the water everyday.

I also double what Neil said, having a heater and a somewhat larger tank will prevent future illnesses and boost his immune system.

I hope he gets well soon~
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

It looks to me like the beginnings of a tumor. Thick deposits of guanine (sp?) forming in that one spot. It looks similar to the tumor Vaygirl's fish had... I can't remember his name... Whiskey?

Probably not serious but I agree with the other posters that you might consider getting a larger tank. At least a gallon, although 2.5+ gallon is preferable for long term housing. An adjustable heater and a thermometer so you can keep the fish in tropical temps year round. He should be in a tank that is held steadily somewhere between 76*F and 82F with something like 78-80*F being ideal.

Also, the freeze dried blood worms aren't the best source of food. They're really lacking in any nutrition and can cause bloating. They're sort of like fish candy and should be fed sparingly and not more than 2 or 3 worms at a time.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote