Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #11 
jman828

You CAN use sea salt as long as it is only salt with no additives or iodine I used to use sea salt as an everyday thing in a low dose with pure sea salt (just salt!) and I used it for about 5 months then quit because long term use could cause issues eventually so you can use any salt as long as it is only salt with absolutely nothing else.
Hope you can fix it .
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #12 
dsgems

Check out fungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Ok, done some more digging around. I think Lakitu has fin rot. They've been getting thinner. And he has what I think might be velvet on his head. The "velvet" is white and not gold colored as mentioned in the sickness thread I just read. Can I buy sea salt tonight and treat him? I cannot get to pet store for aq salt tonight, maybe tomorrow but I wanna do something tonight!!

He is not rubbing against anything as if he's itchy..He's acting perfectly fine.
So sorry your fish is sick, it is very scary. Bettas are very strong and heal very well.
My Betta had his fins clenched really tight , no appetite, And with a strrong magniying glass I could see something whitish all over his head. I thought it was fin rot or maybe velvet or ick. I read that fungus looks can look like velvet but is not yellow, it's white. My betta was not eating or swimming for 5 days. I used a small tank to treat him with salt. I also used Bettafix, unknowing it was not safe. I also kept him in the dark. the next day he was swimming around, his fins were out. It took a couple of days to get him to eat. I stll have him isolated, and using the salt treatment. Good luck!
dsgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #13 
Laki

Thanks guys for your help! I didn't use the salt last night to be sure. I spent like 10 minutes in the isle checking ALL the boxes. It is Kosher, nothing else is in it except sea salt. I made sure bc I did read about people using the table salt and ones with anti-caking agents. I'm careful as heck with my pets but at the time being, what with work and bus schedules and all the stores being so far away I will not be able to get there now until Saturday night or Monday.. (Sunday is most likely a no-go bc Im scared to death of missing the bus and they have a special Sunday schedule.. If I missed the bus I'd be a good 2 hour walk from home O.o)

I will look at fungus to see what he has. It's not even bad. I only noticed it when a bright light was on him and I was looking him over (I like to check on my pets and examine them for anything wrong) Thanks guys!!

I will use the sea salt until I can switch it up.. Then I'll also have sea salt for adding flavor to my food! :D is it the same dose? 1tsp/per gallon?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #14 
Laki

So the sea salt worked on his fungus!! I'm so happy!! :D It's gone but how long should I keep him in salt water?? And will a bit of salt water help his fins heal?? They've been looking raggedy :/
Old 08-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #15 
audjree

it should help his fins heal. my betta had fin rot so i QT'd him and put him in AQ salt for ten days. he's now doing quite well and his fins are healing. (:

i'm not sure if it's the same amount of time for sea salt, but it should be.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #16 
Micho

You shouldn't pass ten days on salt treatment, since Bettas are freshwater fishes salt damages their organs if they are kept in it for a long period of time.

Salt doesn't really help the healing of fins/tails. Be sure that all the fungus is off before taking him off the treatment, if you want his fins to grow faster feed him high protein foods, flakes has the highest protein I believe. Also add stress coat to promote healing.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #17 
Laki

Ok!! Thanks guys! I'll continue the treatment for another day or two. Pick up some stress coat. He's not intersted in flakes really, just makes a mess.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #18 
audjree

i think it depends on what kind of flakes you feed him, but really frozen bloodworms are a good source of protein. i'm currently feeding my betta frozen bloodworms, and it really does him good. (:
Old 08-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #19 
Laki

When I picked up Laki, the lady told us to be careful of frozen foods bc of potential contamination!! What's the chances? She also said that one pkg of frozen worms would outlast my betta!! lol Said it only worth getting if I keep alot of bettas. Even within the month when I get another I'd like to know the odds of getting contaminated bloodworms!! :P
Old 08-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #20 
audjree

you can get either one big block of frozen bloodworms or around 30 small cubes. the 30 small cubes are easier because you don't have to break them up.

since i only give him 2 bloodworms per feeding, i give almost the rest of the cube to my parrot fish, but it's still too much, so i refrigerate it 2 days at most, since i can't freeze it again. it's your choice, since one cube can last one betta probably one month or two, so it won't be good if you refrigerate it too long.

and contamination isn't really a problem with frozen foods, most people worry about contamination with live foods.

i still think it's worth it since it gives your betta the protein it needs. (:

Last edited by audjree; 08-29-2011 at 02:31 PM.